• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by sospiri

1. sospiri

It's Lyn's (Astoness) Birthday

Have a Very Happy Birthday, Lyn. May today be a good one and may you have many many more. Maurice :cool:
  2. sospiri

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

Thanks, my friemds. All gone quiet now, but you can never tell whem we will get some activity again. Certainly the number of instances of such activity seem to have increasedn worldwide, and the poor people of La Palma in the Canaries seem to be taking a pasting with their volcano. Maurice :cool:
  3. sospiri

Richard, According to Cretan news sources, there are no reports of injuries, but there are some reports of damage to buildings, but so far no details. Not a lot goes on in that south east corner and the vast majority of tourists have now gone home. There are some ruins of the Minoan Palace of...
  4. sospiri

Here we go again! I was standing in our parking area half an hour or so ago when this one struck. Instead of upsetting my coffee this time, it slopped a load of water out of the rainwater barrel over the yard. Because it was so shallow it was really shaking & went on for two minutes. Too early...
  5. sospiri

Yates’s Wine Lodge Central Restaurant Corporation Street

Thanks for uploading those interesting papers, Oldun, I'm sure many members will welcome a look at those. Maurice :cool:
  6. sospiri

Windows 10

I use quite a few legacy programs too, Phil, and that's why I won't even bother taking the test! Maurice :cool:
  7. sospiri

Windows 10

The first thing I did with my Windows 10 machine was to install the freebie Windows 7 lookalike front end. Whether that same front end will work with Windows 11 I know not, nor do I care. I'll stick with Windows 10. Maurice :cool:
  8. sospiri

Grandma VIVIENNE 14

Congratulations Viv ! :) Maurice :cool:
  9. sospiri

It's been fairly quiet for the 48 hours, Richard, I hope it stays that way. Maurice :cool:
  10. sospiri

Thank you , Wendy. For those that are interested, the map below shows the battering that the Arkalochori region has taken over the last two days as at 11:00am this morning. The list to the right is only partial (about 24 hours) as I removed the scroll bar since it won't function in a screenshot...
  11. sospiri

Thanks Alan. Up until early yesterday evening there had been over 30 quakes in the same locality, two of which we also felt. Here's the lastest report from the main English newspaper in Greece:-...
  12. sospiri

Frederick Baxter Bolts Screws & Rivets Birmingham

Janice, Re: post #5, those were the only entries in Birmingham newspapers. I did try the London Gazette, but was defeated by the huge number of pages of possibles, and gave up after two or three pages. Maurice :cool:
  13. sospiri

Frederick Baxter Bolts Screws & Rivets Birmingham

Hi Ruudi, And welcome to the Forum. Not a great deal of information about this firm, but the partnership between Frederick & Harry Baxter was dissolved in 1916. I presume that at that point or shortly afterwards the business ceased trading as the only other report was in 1918 that stated that...
  14. sospiri

Welcome to the Forum, Sue. Thank you, Carolann. Sadly we have reports that one person was killed when a church dome collapsed onto them in Arkolochori at the epicentre. That person would be the first to die from an earthquake in Crete since 1858 according to my information. Although Turkey put...
  15. sospiri

Just to make sure we were awake, we had a series of earthquakes this morning at 9:14am local time - 6.0 and 8.3 km deep and rough;y 30 miles from where we live. Four aftershocks so far, one of 4.3 at 7 km deep. Certainly the most vibrant, for want of a better word, since we have lived here. No...
Back