• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by sospiri

1. sospiri

Sweets We Used To Have

Never have been one for gum of any kind, and certainly not bubble gum. The first minute of chewing has some taste, but after that, forget it. :eek: Maurice :cool:
  2. sospiri

Street furniture

What with phone masts and all those masts going up for automatic meter reading, the country is going to look like a massive purcupine soon. Maurice :cool:
  3. sospiri

Manor Houses And Halls Of Greater Birmingham

Nice piece of research, Dennis. Thank you for posting. Maurice :cool:
  4. sospiri

See Birmingham by Post Card

Those trees - from the sublime to the ridculous or vice versa. At least the people in the accomodation above the shops could see daylight in 2011 :) Maurice :cool:
  5. sospiri

Kenyon St 1960

Not me - no beard Pete :) Maurice :cool:
  6. sospiri

The Ice Cream Man

Nothing to do with Birmingham, but here's how one man in the USA came to supply 97% of the country's ice cream vans with their jingles:- https://thehustle.co/the-company-that-has-a-monopoly-on-ice-cream-truck-music/?utm_source=pocket-newtab Maurice :cool:
  7. sospiri

Occupations - Disappeared

Alan, I lived in Knowle Road on the Sparkhill side of the River Cole and throughout the 1940s our milk was delivered via horse and cart. Maurice :cool:
  8. sospiri

See Birmingham by Post Card

That tree badly needs a heavy prune - it's not really a suitable tree for that position. Maurice :cool:
  9. sospiri

Kenyon St 1960

James, Try this - 1960 ER Maurice :cool:
  10. sospiri

Steelhouse Lane Lock Up

Eric, An excellent painting there with lots of character, and some sterling fund-raising going on there. Good luck to all concerned. Maurice :cool:
  11. sospiri

Autumn in the Garden

Got a job at one of the transport museums, Lyn? :) Maurice :cool:
  12. sospiri

Kenyon St 1960

What name or number are you looking for James as it is a subscription only site? Maurice :cool:
  13. sospiri

Childhood Memories

Nico, I could never play piano with cold hands and fortunately I rarely had to. I think I have told this story here before, but in the icy snowy cold winter of 1963 I was playing a club deep in the heart of the New Forest and within a few weeks they couldn't afford to heat the place. It got so...
  14. sospiri

Autumn in the Garden

It's been a funny year for plants this year, Pedro. All alongside the main roads we have pink, white, and red oleanders. As the roads aren't fenced, they were planted to deter large animals as their leaves are poisonous. Apparently four leaves will kill a large horse, but the animals avoid them...
  15. sospiri

Wilton Street Lozells

Edit. Post now moved Marilyn, Welcome to the Forum. There is a thread for Wilton Street here with a few photographs & memories:- https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/wilton-street-lozells.42425/ Maurice :cool: