• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smudger's latest activity

• Smudger
    Smudger reacted to mw0njm.'s post in the thread Childhood Memories with Appreciate Appreciate.
    we had a celler.with a cast iron grate that the colman or burglars lifted to get access, so dad chained it shut. i white washed all the...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Radiorails's post in the thread Childhood Memories with Appreciate Appreciate.
    Yes there were fumes bt n those days before cocooning with double glazing it was not too much of an issue. From memory, some years ago...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to sospiri's post in the thread Childhood Memories with Appreciate Appreciate.
    Nico, I could never play piano with cold hands and fortunately I rarely had to. I think I have told this story here before, but in the...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to maypolebaz's post in the thread Cork Tip Cigarettes with Appreciate Appreciate.
    In the mid - 60s Battlegroup Training used to be carried out in the Libyan desert, (imagine that !). One day we were looking around Bir...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Pedrocut's post in the thread Manufacture of manillas with Wow Wow.
    Birmingham Post, September 1975...
  • Smudger
    Smudger replied to the thread Cork Tip Cigarettes.
    There`s one thing worse than a smoker.. an ex smoker who brags about how easy it is to give up the habit. I found it really hard & tried...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to sospiri's post in the thread Autumn in the Garden with Appreciate Appreciate.
    It's been a funny year for plants this year, Pedro. All alongside the main roads we have pink, white, and red oleanders. As the roads...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to ChrisM's post in the thread Home Guard with Appreciate Appreciate.
    HOME GUARD WORKING PATTERNS Annie Murray, I promised to give you some hints about likely patterns of working for Home Guard members who...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Pedrocut's post in the thread Home Guard with Appreciate Appreciate.
    October 1942...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Eric Gibson's post in the thread Cork Tip Cigarettes with Appreciate Appreciate.
    As I recall the cork tip was just that, not a filter, a thin layer of cork round the tip to stop the paper getting wet and soggy...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Pedrocut's post in the thread Autumn in the Garden with Appreciate Appreciate.
    And still they come !
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Bob Davis's post in the thread Childhood Memories with Appreciate Appreciate.
    When the houses in Court Lane, Erdington where built just before WWII, they all had a coal house just outside the kitchen with the back...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to mw0njm.'s post in the thread SALFORD BRIDGE AREA NEW PHOTOS with Appreciate Appreciate.
    i help build it. and then got a job working on it, .i worked recovery/breakdown driving up and down there 7 days a week.i knew every...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to Bob Davis's post in the thread SALFORD BRIDGE AREA NEW PHOTOS with Appreciate Appreciate.
    Was that Queens Road off Slade Road? If so my nan lived at number 20. When she was 94 I had to drive her all over Spaghetti Junction...
  • Smudger
    Smudger reacted to mw0njm.'s post in the thread Salford bridge with Appreciate Appreciate.
    i worked on the jnk and m6 in1971-3 as a auto electrician maintaning the trucks nd plant for douglas plant.i worked day and night. the...