• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by smtr

1. smtr

WW1 Look up for Charles William Page

Hi Phil, I have had another look and the listings for Charles William Page and they are as follows: 1918 Ladywood Rotton Park Ward - Charles William Page 13 Alfred place M/279643, MT, ASC OSLER STREET 1919 Ladywood Rotton Park - Charles William Page 13 Alfred place M/279643, M.T A.S.C., 1st...
  2. smtr

1812 War in Canada

Hi Nella Can't tell you much really other than I think it should read "Captain & Adjutant O'Hara Bayne's Detachment". Suzanne Also, if you have access to newspapers there appears to be quite a few articles where he is mentioned.
  3. smtr

J, E & H Player, Bingley Works, Birmingham?

Also found a mention in a newspaper dated 1882 "J.E. & H. Birmingham. Ship and Railway Lamp and Carriage fittings Manfacturers." Suzanne
  4. smtr

J, E & H Player, Bingley Works, Birmingham?

Hi and welcome to the forum. The 1896 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham has a listing for a J.E. & H. Player, 35 Broad Street. They are listed under 'Lamp Manufacturers'. Suzanne
  5. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Hi Smudger, thanks for the information about your Dad paying rent to someone in George Rd. It certainly adds to the story. Hi oldMohawk, thanks for the extra picture. I too thought those garden fences were smart! Suzanne
  6. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Hi pollypops, thanks. I knew Thomas William and his wife are buried at St Barnabas in a Vault and thought it likely the elder Thomas and his wife would be also. Is that a site to look at as I can't seem to access hunimex.com Suzanne Pollypops I've found it now - thanks
  7. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Hi Smudger Yes it does look like a nice road doesn't it? I'm trying to find out who the road was named after. Possibility is a Thomas Doidge or his son Thomas William Doidge, both builders, and lived in George Road at one time, so not too far away from Doidge Rd. The elder Thomas built a...
  8. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Thanks so much oldMohawk. Suzanne
  9. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Thanks so much Postie! Don't suppose you know the date of the picture do you ? Suzanne
  10. smtr

Doidge Road Erdington

Hi It appears the attachments have now disappeared - perhaps due to the hacking? Would it be possible to repost them please? I am trying to find out when Doidge Road was built/named. I cannot find it before c1908. Many thanks Suzanne
  11. smtr

Berners Street, Lozells

Ooh! Look forward to seeing anything you find Lyn. Suzanne
  12. smtr

Berners Street, Lozells

Hi Lynn and Mike Many thanks to both of you. This really gives me a good idea of the housing. 5/186 is where my Gt grandparents lived at least in 1930. In 1935 they were at what was described as 5 Berners Terrace, Berners Street. Suzanne
  13. smtr

Sutton Coldfield War Memorial

Worthy cause Dave. Again, well done. Suzanne
  14. smtr

Hi Dave M How interesting that you have these pics. Did you go round taking photos in case they came in useful? Well done. Suzanne
  15. smtr

Trish CWCG has a Harry Woodward (no initial "I" though) who died 06 June 1917 aged 23. Lance Corporal, service No. 14/723 Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 14th Bn. Cemetery, Boldmere (St. Michael) Churchyard. Grave reference 060. Son of Sam & Eliza Woodward, 266 Highbridge Road, Wylde Green...
Back