• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by smithy82/3

1. smithy82/3

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi there, Memories, well, I worked as a Welder firstly in the cabinets depts. my mate used to shut the shop down and test the insulators while we were at lunch over the road in the cafe, then moved into the Bedplate dept. where we welded bedplates for the big stators to sit upon. Living in...
  2. smithy82/3

A Play On Loco Numbers

G'day, I have just caught up with a video? YouTube, of a steam train coming into New St. station Birmingham, it's The Earl Of ??????? couldn't quite catch the name, it was full and just looked like a normal service as I remembered them in years gone by, No. 5043, do you know if this is a one...
  3. smithy82/3

Tamworth field trainspotting

G'day Trainees, What good memories, from my school days, 1947/50, We were adventurist in them days and would set off from Doidge road, on our rickety old trikes hoping to snare some of the loco numbers on the Main lines through Tamworth 14mile down the Kingsbury road, the trip was well worth it...
  4. smithy82/3

Old tram routes in birmingham

G'day, Cookie, Have you any info of this Tram/Bus? I came across it browsing old pics, looks like Stockland green to Short Heath We have in Adelaide one simular it's called The O'Bahn but it runs on a guided track system most of the way once out of the city. Thanks..
  5. smithy82/3

Electric Trams

Thanks for the memory stitcher, happy days swinging on the turn around pole, at the short heath terminus.o_O:eek: with the clippie making sure I didn't let go!;)
  6. smithy82/3

Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards ?

G'day Mike, excuse my ignorance, but I would like to see the above traffic pics, where do I click?? thanks.
  7. smithy82/3

Worst car of the 1960's

Hi, borrowed my brothers first car it was a 1937 Humber, lovely old car,'rattling' big ends all the way from Brum to Dover, but white metal fixed them up.. But my first car was an Austin 8 'hand painted' and the pride and joy of an old couple, she cried when I bought it off them, for 25 pounds...
  8. smithy82/3

Coppermine Link For Uploading Images

G'day, basic question, (maybe too silly for words) in Transport airfields, Bernard67 wants to show a photo of The Dreamliner, well, where is it and what do I click to view? still learning..
  9. smithy82/3

Aston Hippodrome Revue

Maggie, My father took us to see the Revue's at the Aston Hip. for education I think ?? Happy days:rolleyes:
  10. smithy82/3

The Star cinema

Hi there! The Star cinema was one of my favourites, between 47/51 at least three maybe four times a week we would be there, it was 6d-9d and in the posh seats at the back 1/6d, many a night to see an 'A' film we would walk up and down the queue asking the adults to take us in, most times we...
  11. smithy82/3

Public washing baths in nechells

G'day, talking of baths, if you lived in Doidge Rd. every house had a' fold-up' bath, filled from the copper, it was used regularly through the war and into the 50s. the neighbours (tw0 ladies) would come round on Fridays nights,but guess who had to keep the fire stoke up? Now it looks from pics...
  12. smithy82/3

Smells Of The Past

I remember the bloke with the hot spuds and chestnuts outside New street station, and the lovely smells wafting down to the platforms. he kept them hot in a tray beneath the oven. But another one smell I used to hate when getting the old pram filled with 'Coke' almost straight from the furnace...
  13. smithy82/3

The Beginnings of Fire Protection

Thanks Lyn and TWO, I,m glad to know no one was injured and it has settled an augment about the Halfords fire, some mates thought it was deliberately lit.. Good pics. Thanks again.
  14. smithy82/3

The Beginnings of Fire Protection

G'day folks, what was the name of the (factory or warehouse) opposite a fire station at the bottom of Steelhouse Lane, which burnt down sometime between 1948/1950 ?? thanks.
  15. smithy82/3

History of Cars.

Thanks Lyn, just after keep looking, Chreerio
Back