• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by smithsquared

1. S

Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook

Been trying to do a bit of detective work on the house numbers, I found 38 on Street View and counted my way up Henley Street, unfortunately the join in the 1905 map I have is a bit out of alignment but I think I have identified where 96 and 98 were. Based on that I think I know which one was 1...
  2. S

Ellie, welcome to the thread, it sounds like your parents were in around the same location as where I believe my father was born. He was born at 1back 96 Henley St which I think backed on to the Woodman Pub in South Road. With everything long since cleared and virtually no family photos, I have...
  3. S

Uniforms of WW1

Hi there, You kindly helped me, a few months back, tracking down a regiment from a cap badge on an old family wedding photo. The information you gave me was that the soldier was in the 7th (City of London) Battalion of The London Regiment (TF), I have been trying to find out if he is another...
  4. S

William Henry Smith

Only William I can find in 1901 is as follows, not definitive but all the others seem to be attached to other families. Hope this helps 1901 census transcription details for: Halfway House Farm, Perry Barr SMITH, William, visitor, M, 10, 1891, born Birmingham
  5. S

William Henry Smith

Had another look, still can't find the 1901 census info but did find the info below, it looks like William Henry's parents were Thomas Smith and Jennie Smith (daughter of John Salmon and Jane Davis). Jennie appears to have died in 3Q 1891 and Thomas Smith remarried to Jane Davis in 1898. Being...
  6. S

William Henry Smith

Diane, does this help? 1891 census transcription details for: 14, Carlton Road, Bordesley, Birmingham SMITH, Thomas, Head,Married, M 39. 1852, Commission Agent, Born Birmingham, Warwickshire SMITH, Jennie, Wife, Married, F, 34, 1857, born Birmingham, Warwickshire SMITH, Thomas A, Son, M...
  7. S

Annie, I have been searching for any old photos of the Woodman (have got the one just before it was demolished), would be thrilled if you have any in your family archive. My father was born just behind the Woodman (1 back 96 Henley Street) and his father worked in the pub at the time of the...
  8. S

Rice And Co Steam Guage Manufacturers

The Whistle Museum website (see link below) has a picture of the De Courcy factory but whether that is the Frankfort Street or not, I do not know https://whistlemuseum.com/2009/02/01/a-de-courcy--co--birmingham-whistle-maker-samples-of-escargottype--general-service-whistles--whistle-museum.aspx...
  9. S

Rice And Co Steam Guage Manufacturers

Richard, The only gauge manufacturer in Aston that I can find is Joseph Tomey & Sons Ltd, 29 Catherine St Aston - Gauge Glass, however I cannot find any link to a 'James Rice.' Good luck with your search. Bob
  10. S

Goodyear Boat Builders

Mike, Brilliant, that will take me some while to work through! Considering David Goodyear had 10 children, Thomas Watson Goodyear had 10, Edwin had 2, William had 7 and Nathan just the one there are a number of Goodyear's out there, mind you his daughter Lydia, my Great Grand Mother, still...
  11. S

Goodyear Boat Builders

Hi everyone, Have been trying to find out more about my ancestors on my grandmothers side, it appears that my Great, Great Grandfather 'David Goodyear,' born in 1811 (approx.) in Tipton Staffordshire, came to Birmingham with his wife (Hannah) and 7 children some time between 1845 and 1848. He...
  12. S

Smiths Florence

Re: Sorry, the Smiths again Maurice, It may not be the same family but the loss of 5 years of a Lady's age seems to be endemic with 'Smith's,' attached is another extract from my Ancestor Summaries, please note Lucy Smith (she who moved to Montgomery Street) had a similar trait. It doesn't...
  13. S

Smiths Florence

Re: Sorry, the Smiths again Maurice, Tried looking up a few bits but could do with some more information. Do you know what Sarah's parents and brothers names were? Bob
  14. S

Smiths Florence

Re: Sorry, the Smiths again Maurice, I personally don't know of a way to get any more recent Census information than 1911 (I believe it is still subject to restrictions on Information Act). Some of the folks at this forum have access to the electoral role information so hopefully they will join...
  15. S

Smiths Florence

Re: Sorry, the Smiths again Mbason I thought I might be of some help but I don't think we are related to the same Smith's. We had a 'Florence Jane Smith' but she was born in 1875 in Birmingham. She had a brother James Joseph Smith (my Grandfather) who married another Smith, (Lucy, my...
Back