• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by smiler

1. S

s and u

Hi Astonian, I was born in the Bull Ring and all my family were either working in the retail market or in the wholesale Smithfield market, therefore I was in Edgbaston Street, working every day of the week, the one thing that I remember about S&U Stores, was that it was one of the first modern...
  2. S

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Re post 93. The lady Flower seller holding the bunch of flowers in her hand facing the camera, opposite Snow Hill Station, was my mothers cousin, Mrs Joan King, nee Burton, the man next to her is her brother Charlie Burton, they worked together for many years on that same pitch in Colmore Row...
  3. S

Jacksons Tobacconists

Hi Pipit 43, Thanks for the photos, YES I recognised both of them instantly, especially Annie Hassan, who was a real lady and always nice to me and all the other children when serving us our sweets or ice cream!! I dont remember their original shop, but in the photo of them standing...
  4. S

Jacksons Tobacconists

Hi Pipit43, I'm sorry that I can't remember more, but I was only a 'kid' and well you just don't go asking the questions that you would want to ask today!!! Have you got a photo of Walter and Annie? I would like to see if i could still recognise them. Good hunting!!! Smiler
  5. S

Jacksons Tobacconists

Hi Pipit 43 How interesting to read your story about the Hassan's, I lived in Rea Street Flats, Digbeth, situated on the corner of Digbeth and Rea Street from 1954 until 1967. I can remember that we lived on the first floor directly over Jackson's sweet shop. I have a copy of the 1962 Voters...
  6. S

Birmingham boxers?

Hi Pamela, Yes, I think things were much different in the late 20's and early 30's, there were so many young men who entered the boxing game with the hope of making a few quid and other than their names appearing in the local papers and some sports magazine's that's all we know about them...
  7. S

Birmingham boxers?

Does anyone have any information about the Birmingham boxer BILLY CAIN, his boxing record is on the web, he was a featherweight and fought between 1924-1933, I belive that he was a relative of my Grandmother's, Sarah Ann Cain b1879 who lived in Fisher Street, Gosta Green, Birmingham. I have...
  8. S

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

How nice that someone has mentioned LEASE LANE and to see a picture of it, as I was born at no 8, Lease Lane in 1948, I have many happy memories of the Wholesale and Retail Markets and all my family worked in the Bull Ring. The well known character Percy Moseley and his family lived next door...
  9. S

Mitt Romney

Would this be Mit Romneys, Birmingham relatives in 1891 Cesus, who previously lived in Carver Street, Hockley? Any of them still living in Brum? Piece: RG12/2407 Place: Aston -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 35 Civil Parish: Deritend Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church Folio...
  10. S

Jamaica Row

If I am not mistaken she is skinning a rabbit!!! Look at all the skins on the ground. So this photo must have been taken just after the war as in the early 50's the rabbit population was infected with a disease called Mixamitosis, to control them as they were ruining the farmers crops. This...
  11. S

Jamaica Row

Re: jamacia row I am fairly sure that the lady in white is Iris Moseley, the daughter of the well known Bull Ring 'character' Percy Moseley. There is a another picture of her with her brother 'Sammy' working on a barrow in the Bull Ring outside Woolworth's in the 1950's taken by Phylis...
  12. S

Postal look ups Jacob Winter tailor ELECTORAL ROLL

I'm sure that Louis Putsman (z dropped) could have been the son!! had a tailor's shop on the corner of Milk Street and Digbeth up until the late 50's, really old fashioned shop with the clothes hanging outside on display, he used to stand on the front door step with his tape measure around his...
  13. S

Housing : 1930s housing

Hi Stitcher, Viceroy Close, was 'the' place to live in Bham in the 40s 50s and 60s, the buildings were built on the 'Mansion' style flats mainly found in London, obviously it was in an ideal location on the Bristol Road and only minutes from town, by car, bus or even walk it on a nice day...
  14. S

Hi Bernard, Sorry but my father died in 1965 at the very early age of 51, heart attack!! As said in my previous post having finished the job for Sapcotes of building the new Ferry terminal/harbour at Weymouth, all the building work the government wanted at the start of the war was completed...
  15. S

Hi, my father was a bricklayer for Sapcotes the Builders of Summerhill Street, Hockley in the 30's, he worked on building the Semi's which line the Coventry Road from the Swan out to where they end just before the Elmdon Airport and in all the roads behind the Coventry Road in Sheldon. The...
Back