• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Smartsavage

1. S

Winson Green prison

Hi there. My husband's great, great grandfather was principal warder at Winson Green prison until his death in 1888. I'm looking through various photographs and trying to identify him. Does the attached photo look like a warder's uniform? I can't make out the wording on the cap despite my best...
  2. S

Bracebridge Street

I'm not entirely sure of the year OR the school but the lady in the front row, 4th from the left, is my mother-in-law and was born in 1942. She lived at Bracebridge Street until at least 1954 so it would be a local school.
  3. S

Bracebridge Street

Hi There, I've come across some photographs from Coronation Day 1953 on what I believe is Bracebridge Street (please correct me if I'm wrong) I know The Keough's lived at number 195 and that they were still there at this time as I have addressed letters.
  4. S

Bracebridge Street

Hi There. I'm just looking through a LOT of photographs and documents which we left to my hubby. His grand-parents lived at 195 Bracebridge Street along with his mother who bought a shop on Newtown Row from Mr W Richards on 8/8/1930 for £70d. Anyway, his name was Arthur Keough. His father's was...
  5. S

Ladywood Road

Wow. Thank you for all your responses.
  6. S

Ladywood Road

Hi Alan. Please don't worry. I am very grateful for any help you can give me. My great aunt Ivy, her husband Sam Gilder and their children Terry, Pauline and Diane left Ladywood road for Australia in 1958. They remember their childhood very fondly and I got to meet Pauline's son Nick this week...
  7. S

Ladywood Road

Thank you for replying. I was on Ladywood Road Tuesday. It was a surreal experience as we walked down the road, with my Australian cousin, while he facetimed his Mother back in Australia to see if she recognised anything, which she didn't. I've looked at some older maps online but still can't...
  8. S

Ladywood Road

I'm really hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to find out if 214 Ladywood Road existed or if my cousin is confused? She left England in 1958 aged 11 to live in Australia and her son has just visited me. We went to Ladywood Road and were very confused! She is adamant that her house shared a...
Back