• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by smallheathexplorer

1. smallheathexplorer

Warr family

Trying to pick up this thread after more than a year, as I have gathered a few more names recently. It seems that Stanley Charles Warr b1918 is still living and that many of the family (he had at least seven children) are still in the Birmingham area. Is anyone out there a descendent of either...
  2. smallheathexplorer

READING John b1864 or maybe 1869

Sorry to involve you in my lopsided virtual reality! Where do I look for more records, other than the ones on Ancestry.com? And Ancestry doesn't yet have available the full details from 1911, which is most frustrating. I realise I will need to come over to Birmingham and look at original...
  3. smallheathexplorer

If these are the same Matilda Maxwell / Francis and John Reading, something odd is going on with their ages in the 1891 census return. If he IS John Charles Reading b1869 he should be 21 or 22, not 27 as stated. That would also mean that he would have been 15 or 16 when the eldest son, William...
  4. smallheathexplorer

Sorry, Suzanne, getting myself all confused in this tangled web, yes, Violet first born, Louisa second. As for confusion due to adoption, I am very thankful that my partner's father, Arthur Edward Reading, was adopted aged 2, but did not have his name changed. Even so, I spent quite some time...
  5. smallheathexplorer

There are so many links here that I find it difficult to believe that this is not the same John and Louisa Reading that I am looking for. I still can't work out why the age of John Reading would be 5 years out, if he was the John Charles Reading born 1869. Matilda Maxwell certainly sounds like...
  6. smallheathexplorer

Court John Sue Carpenter/Timmins

Re: John Court Sue Carpenter/Timmins Sorry, Carolina, re-reading your post I now see you are looking for people named Timmins, I thought you were looking for Court. Anyway, just in case it is of any use to you: 1881 Census Return shows at 49 Tenby Street North George H Court, Head, aged 36...
  7. smallheathexplorer

Thanks, Suzanne, yes I found those too - that's why I said it's like a maze. The part after he seems to have died, between 1891 and 1897, looks clear: Louisa married Charles Hartwright in 1897. I also wondered if Louisa Maxwell is her maiden name, not Francis, but I see no way of confirming that...
  8. smallheathexplorer

Is anyone able to help me with this, please? I feel like I am trapped in a very cleverly designed maze. The 1891 census return shows John Reading aged 27 with wife Louisa aged 25, mother-in-law Matilda Francis aged 64, sons William aged 5 and Charles aged 1. In 1897 Louisa Reading married...
  9. smallheathexplorer

Why are you a family historian?

I wonder when we decide the point at which we started being 'family historians'. I could say that it was when I rifled through my maternal grandfather's box of papers and photos, which is when I started writing things down. Since the internet made it possible to find out dates and records more...
  10. smallheathexplorer

Byron BIDDULPH

Well, it seems Doris was not Byron and Florence's daughter. She was Doris M Aldham, married Hawtin F Moreby in 1938. Always good to check and eliminate rather than assume possibilities as certainties. :)
  11. smallheathexplorer

Byron BIDDULPH

Suzanne, you're an angel. Yes, Byron DID marry Florence Cosby, so Eric is Frederick. It looks as if Doris may have been a daughter, I'll search the birth records. Many thanks.
  12. smallheathexplorer

Byron BIDDULPH

Does anyone know of Byron Biddulph, who I believe died in 1943, in Birmingham, aged 57? I have details of him on census returns and his marriage to Florence in 1918, in Buckinghamshire. He seems to have returned to Birmingham, where he was born, at some stage of his life. I have been told that...
  13. smallheathexplorer

HEATH James- a boatman

Re: James HEATH - a boatman now I have George Heath, another boatman, son of James Heath... HELP!
  14. smallheathexplorer

BIDDULPH jigsaw pieces

Hi, Carolynn and many thanks. Mary Ann Heath is definite for my tree, I have that from a family bible. I recall seeing a Mary Ann Hopkins; am having to retrace some of my steps - that's the price one pays for neglecting one's research for too long! :P
  15. smallheathexplorer

Court John Sue Carpenter/Timmins

Re: John Court Sue Carpenter/Timmins I found some of the Court family last night when I was trawling, looking for members of the Reading family. Have to go out right now but will get back to you on this. In the meantime, have a look at the 1881 census for 49 Tenby Street North, Birmingham. They...
Back