• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by slinton

1. slinton

George Harper born abt 1893

Hello Carolann. I've been compiling a Harper DNA tree for my brother-in-law, and your George and Mary Ann (Fowler) are on one of the branches. I just thought I'd add that MAF's nickname was Polly in a few docs. Also, you may have found it already - but in 1915 they had 2 daughter's baptised...
  2. slinton

St. John's Approved School

Just saying Hi - especially to the late 70's gang :)
  3. slinton

Cowper Street

Thanks for sharing these.
  4. slinton

The case that you're referring to was just one... but another member of staff was found guilty of stealing a pen! which I found hysterical! Goodness knows what the pen was made of. Having shared that info... I must also add that I have utmost respect and fond memories for a lot of staff in St...
  5. slinton

I tried to get my abated records from St Johns' but was told that they were all destroyed after thirty years.
  6. slinton

I remember Mr McKale, Mr B, Gil Lewis and Mrs Colclough very well. I wish I could leave a link here for a book but you'll just have to look for Eskay Teel on amazon. It's an autobiography and features A LOT about St Johns and some of the people and. of course, the kids (of which I was one).
  7. slinton

HARRIS - Mott Street,

This is really weird! I'm looking for photo's/memorabilia of my Grandad - Charlie 'Tiger' Smith 1911 - 1982 - from Birmingham. He was a boxer in the Army. I suspect that he would've been a featherweight. He had exceptionally blue eyes and was only about 5'4". He married Mary Tainty and had two...
  8. slinton

Cowper Street

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Three generations of my family lived at 58 Cowper St. They were the Tildesleys. If anyone knows them I'd love to hear from them. The name Benjamin, Ben and Benny :)
  9. slinton

TAINTY / TAINTEY Help please!

Thank you again for your attention.... Yes! of course! how simple is that answer!? It's completely logical that they didn't 'register' the birth til after the New Year! Maybe it was heavy snow! :o) You see it every time you look for a birth record,, it does actually say 'registered'! I...
  10. slinton

Thank you so much for your time and effort Shera. My problem is that although I can find the 3 son's with FOSTER mother maiden name,,, I can not find MARY TAINTEY (TAINTY)'s Mother at all!! I even ordered a marriage cert from GRO which confirmed the Father's name as George Tainty (with no...
  11. slinton

I am looking for Mother of Mary Tainty. Her Fathers name was George (detail in 1935 marriage cert to Charles Richard SMITH) but I can not pinpoint Mother. I also can not find any more info about Father. She had a brother known as Bill TAINTY (most likely William). I have 2 options of year...
  12. slinton

Books: on pre 1851 Birmingham

I've just clicked on that link,,, Excellent!
Back