• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by skylark

1. S

Church of the Saviour

Thank you once again, Elaine, for this extra info on the Church - I will certainly be looking on Wikipedia . Your help is appreciated. Skylark.
  2. S

Church of the Saviour

Thank You, Elaine, for posting this image of the Church - what an interesting building - was it still in use as a Church when it was demolished ? Someone on this brilliant site will know !!! Thank you again, I appreciate it very much. Skylark.
  3. S

Free Access To The 1939 Register For 5 Days

Re: 1939 information - Ration books were still being used well into the 1950's so when a female married, her married name needed to added to the 1939 register so that she could be issued with the correctly named new ration book. Hope this helps with your searches. Skylark.
  4. S

Adoption In 1942

Thank you all for this great advice.... I will pass on this info to my friend & see if he wishes to pursue it further. Thank you again. Skylark.
  5. S

Adoption In 1942

Hello again Lyn, that is a good point ! We had assumed he was placed in a home, but foster parents had not occurred to us...back to the drawing board for us....many thanks for your input.
  6. S

Adoption In 1942

Hi Lyn, I believe he does have all the relevant documents but there is no mention of where he was taken before the adoption took place - I think he feels this is the final piece of the jigsaw for him. Thank you.
  7. S

Adoption In 1942

Hello folks, I am trying to help a friend find out exactly which children's home he might have been placed in 1942 before his adoption. He was born in Coleshill & his birth was registered in Meriden, his birth family would have been Church of England. I know this is a long shot but it always...
  8. S

Help With A Ww1 Mystery Please...

I do have the info from the National Roll , the only thing that is missing are his attestation papers ...hey ho... one day Lyn, I might be lucky. Many Thanks.
  9. S

Hello Lyn, Yes the family were indeed living in Moseley Street. I do have a copy of his medal card. I also have info from the absent voters list. Regards, Margaret.
  10. S

Thank you Janice, I know I was secretly hoping that I would find gold at the end of the rainbow with granddads medical history magically before me. I will just have to be happy that I have at least now got a small scrap of paper from WWl that has his name on it. Thank you all once again. Skylark.
  11. S

Hello Lyn, the Farm St Samuel Hale, is not my relative sadly. I was hoping that finding a new number for my S. Hale might mean a glimmer of hope to finding his Army record. Thanks again.
  12. S

Hi, I know that my GF Samuel Hale, was in the RWR during WWI (I also know that I cannot find his record because they may well be in the "burnt records"). I know he received medals. By chance (a lucky chance) I found a small mention of him on FMP being on a sick & injured list - not so lucky for...
  13. S

Queens Head Pub Icknield Port Road...

By chance when looking online for info on the Pickering branch of my tree, I happened upon my Susannah Pickering & her will: Her address was given as The Queens Head, 251 Icknield Port Road. She died 28/08/1957 & her effects were left to her son William H H Pickering who was a Licenced...
  14. S

Cost Of Bmd Certificates ?

Thanks for that info. I would like to use the B'ham Register Office for my certificates but they seem to be asking £10 plus £5 for looking for the certs. I would prefer to write off for them (I have the address). I do worry about ordering them online just in case I have clicked onto a "site"...
  15. S

Cost Of Bmd Certificates ?

Hi, it has been a while since I bought any BMD Certs from B'ham Register office. Can I ask what is the the cost of certificates now & do I still need to enclose a SAE? Thank you, Skylark.