• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Siouxhealer

1. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

Ken honey, did you miss the previous posts? Phil solved it. It's in Ward End! on the corners of Asquith Rd & Morley Rd (Hence Morley Stores) they were listed in the 1913 Directory. So we think the Oaklands Stores, Formans rd, were previous to the photo, as that's the details they gave on the...
  2. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

I'm wondering if they started off in Formans Rd, (1911 census) and tried to find somewhere 'closer' to home - wich was Aston & Derritend - if your info comes from after the census. *shrugs* I dunno....I'm just glad you helped me find where it actually was! :~))) xxx
  3. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

Goodness, I've just realised how close it is to Burney Lane! That's where my Gran (Other side of the family from the shop owners) lived and I spent my childhood visits!!! Considering how big Brum is, it's a small world! :encouragement: xxx Sioux
  4. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

OH....MY......GOD!!!! HOW?!!! How on earth did you find it? You're a complete superstar, THANK YOU! The double window on the upper floor is right, it even has perfect matching scroll masonry over it . The whole building has been plastered so I'd never have found it. Just leaves the conundrum...
  5. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

Grrr this is frustrating. The image came from another decendant who knew the people in the image not the location of the shop! I've tried illustrating what I can see and what's not there. In Red the bird box finnials I referred to. Therefore a local design feature still present today. In...
  6. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

A cap, pipe & stick and you'd be a dead ringer Sparkhill with your beard! :encouragement: xxxx
  7. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

Yes Barrie, That's the one I'd narrowed it down to using Google Map street view! The little Bird box shaped finnials over the shop window and the plain sills under the upper floor windows match in well. The only thing different is the scroll stoneworl over the front door of the neighbouring...
  8. Siouxhealer

Formans Road Sparkhill

I believe this was Oaklands Stores, Formans Rd, Sparkhill. In the 1911 Census it was jointly run by Julia Annie Wilson-single, & her sister Rosina Jane Bassett [nee wilson] Widow. They were the daughters of William Jacob Wislon (seen here stood in front of the shop with his granddaughter...
  9. Siouxhealer

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Hi Wendy, Sorry I didn't mean to ignore your reply last night - I didn't spot it as I used quick reply at the bottom of the page I was on...your post came up on the next page and I was rushing! Lovely to see an image of your late friend dressed as Jacob. It's nice that somebody was keeping his...
  10. Siouxhealer

Evening Mike, Just flying by to check on replies. Thanks for response. Yes I'm certain he was Jacob as it's THE family name LOL. Not so much as a lack of imagination as a huge amount of pride I think in passing it on. The W.J. Wilson Gas fitter is the William in the above pictures father...
  11. Siouxhealer

Here's one of my Gt Gt Grandparents advertising their business. W.J Wilson, Maufacturers of 'The Birchfield' Cycles & Motors. 59, Chain Walk Birchfields. Show Rooms & Garage: Corner of Lozells Road & Burbury Street Birmingham. William Jacob Wilson was the grandson of Jacob Wilson, Last Town...
  12. Siouxhealer

Town Criers of Birmingham

Right I've had time to upload some images to include here (I 'm a bit rusty...haven't used a forum for about 4 years!!) 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. So If I got this right, when you click on the thumbnails it should take you to a larger copy of the image. 1, 2 & 3. Jacob's...
  13. Siouxhealer

Warstone Lane catacombs - Patrick/Kimberley family

Well I must say a huge Thank You to Leslam for posting this photo! I should have spent more time wandering about the graves when I visited Warstone. James is, as you have rightly discovered Jacob Wilson's Grandson. Jacob being the last Town Crier of Birmingham. Jacob's Grave is actually on...
  14. Siouxhealer

Town Criers of Birmingham

I signed up to this forum today curious to see if there was any infor about my Ancestor Jacob here. How lovely to see people still remember him. After my investigations into Jacob, I know the last poster Denise is also a descendant :encouragement: I have lots of information on Jacob if anyone is...
Back