• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by simental

1. S

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

Hi Bigles Sorry to hear Jack Baldwin has passed away,I thought he had moved to the bewdley area as he was a very keen fisherman but he must have moved back to b`ham,he used to live in hampstead originally and went to work at greatbridge on his bike! We had a little mini van after that and...
  2. S

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

I worked for Elvins in the early 60`s as an apprentice bricklayer with a general forman named Jack Baldwin and a bricklayer named Tommy,an Irishman who left to work for the generating board,We built an office block at great bridge in the black country and a factory at Northampton . I also...
  3. S

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

Hi Paul I worked for Elvins from 1963 to 67 and started as a trainee bricklayer,Mr Askew gave me the job and sent me to Hovis to brick up large openings in the bakery on my own!. My firt wage was £7 per week at 18 years old I was then sent to great bridge to work with a general foreman , Jack...
Back