• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by silhouette53

1. silhouette53

Camera / Photographic shops

Amazing photos - thanks so much for posting them. I remember the J Lyons cafeteria next to there - recall being taken in there as a little boy - waitresses in black with white aprons
  2. silhouette53

Camera / Photographic shops

I became a grandfather back in March of last year and, naturally enough, have been taking rather more photographs on my little digital compact than I normally would since then !! I was quite 'into' photography years ago and had quite a bit of 35mm gear languishing at the back of the wardrobe so...
  3. silhouette53

Aston Pictures

Ray I can help with 1 and 2. No 1 is looking up Gerrard St from the junction with Alma St That'll be an inner circle 8 goin up there. Pic No. 2 is looking up Porchester St to Clifford St which runs across at the top of the pic Cheers ! Colin
  4. silhouette53

Shakespeare Express

OK, everyone ( I guess ) must be aware of this service which runs from Snow Hill to Stratford and back each Sunday from July to September - been on it myself a few times but once you're on a train it really doesn't matter whats pulling it really !! I do love to go and watch it come back into...
  5. silhouette53

New Street Station 1967

What ???? a glass cathedral to replace the Pallisades ??? LOL I guess the platforms will still be claustrophobic and underground though -
  6. silhouette53

New Street Station 1967

I'm sure you've all heard the news that the go-ahead has been given for a multi million pound revamp of the station, it occurs to me that we need to create a comprehensive photographic record of what its like NOW as after the revamp it will be HISTORY !! Maybe years down the line ( no pun...
  7. silhouette53

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

Nice photos Lyn - did you know that there was (still is) a playground on the roof of the school building ? you can see the railings still there along the edge - my god ! what would the health and safety eedjits have to say about that nowadays i wonder !!!!! I mean, its almost as dangerous as...
  8. silhouette53

Do you still have a local?

The Towers ????? !!!! well its a step up from the 'Courts' thats for sure !!! The Old Irish Harp way down the Chester Road is nice, but a long way to go for a quiet pint. And of course its not 'local'
  9. silhouette53

Do you still have a local?

My 'local' if that be the nearest public house to my humble abode is the 'Tennis Courts' on Walsall Road. It is so far removed from my perception of what constitutes a pub as to be totally undeserving of the title !! Yes, it serves beer but thats about the only thing whereby it could be...
  10. silhouette53

Bicycle saddle factories: Wrights, Leatheries, Lycett, Mansfield

By all means the pics I've posted can be used by ANYONE in any way you wish !
  11. silhouette53

Midland Educational

I can echo every word here !! As a kid I was fascinated by the VAST range of drawing pencils on display - I would have loved to have the complete set of Derwent pencils in that lovely wooden two drawer case but it would have cost an arm and a leg I'm sure !!!
  12. silhouette53

Well, as promised here is a photo of No 24 Heathfield Road, the location of what was once Mansfield Saddles. The house to the left of the premises is No 26 and its difficult to say how big Mansfields premises were - there are 3 numbers chalked on the wall ( 20, 22 and 24 ) presumably to help the...
  13. silhouette53

Mike you are a mine of information !! I haven't forgotten how you came up with a list of publicans who'd run the Royal Victoria Cross in William Street !! I will check out 24 Heathfield Rd and see what's there.
  14. silhouette53

Hi Colin I really don't know about that - I have no idea where exactly in Heathfield Rd the Mansfield factory was located, or if the building still exists - something for the historians on here to investigate. If someone can come up with the number I will certainly check it out next time I...
  15. silhouette53

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

Thanks Lloyd for cleaning up that pic - What a difference it makes !! I notice that you do this on quite a few of the photos that people post, thankyou for that ! Colin
Back