• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Shortie

1. Shortie

Snow Hill Station

I don't come to this forum very often and I can't see a reply to this, so I think I can answer your question. The frontage of Snow Hill was the Great Western Hotel but the Grand was nothing to do with the railway. It was built by Isaac Horton (the existing Hortons' Estate is what his company...
  2. Shortie

Soho Road Handsworth

Is that a clock or is it just a window?
  3. Shortie

'The Pond' - Off Wensley Road

'Sunnyside' was indeed the house, and the lady was Mrs Crisp.
  4. Shortie

'The Pond' - Off Wensley Road

I don't remember ever seeing bluebells there, I have no idea why, it would have been an ideal place for them to be. i do remember oyster shells in the pond - oysters were cheap in Victorian days so it's not surprising, but children used to say that when the big house was there they were growing...
  5. Shortie

Magician needed!

Roy, I have also had to ask for help - this Forum has changed since I last used it. Top right hand corner you will see a tab saying 'inbox' - click on that and start a conversation. I have sent you a message.
  6. Shortie

Magician needed!

If you look a few postings back you will see mikejee's instructions to me. I can't see them myself as I'm on my phone and half in bed but it will give instructions on how to send ne a private message. I can then tell you what I've found.
  7. Shortie

Magician needed!

Yes, Mike. Once he reads this I am sure he will. I hope so.
  8. Shortie

Magician needed!

Ah thank you. I shall do as soon as he replies to my earlier posting. Thanks for the help.
  9. Shortie

Magician needed!

Mike, I've just tried and apparently I am not allowed to contact him via pm. I'm not giving my details on the forum, so can you tell me what's happening, why can't I message him?
  10. Shortie

Magician needed!

Thank you Mike. Much obliged. Pauline
  11. Shortie

Magician needed!

Hi Roy I do have an address, but looking at what I could find on the internet today, the house was sold in 2008 so I don't have any idea where they are living now. I don't think they are on Facebook either, I can't find anything, so presently I don't have any contact details. I will. however...
  12. Shortie

Magician needed!

'The Flat' as you mention, was the bottom part of Lodge Road where it joins Icknield Street where the shops were - it was the only part of Lodge Road that was flat except for the top end in Winson Green (if I remember rightly). I worked for about six months on The Flat, it was a very good...
  13. Shortie

Magician needed!

Hi Boogaloo, Well I feel I have to apologise for you finding out what happened to your grandfather this way, but at the same time, at least you know a little about him. His occupation was Fruiterer - ie, he sold fruit but I understand he didn't have a shop, he was a hawker, so door to door. I...
  14. Shortie

Temple Row

The first picture that was posted - the corner of Bull Street Look at the corner building on the right. Then look at the second picture and you will see that the lower windows are exactly the same. Also Rackhams on the lefthand side - that corner was always semi-circular, when Rackhams was...
  15. Shortie

City Centre Photographs

I thin it was Norwich Union Insurance from memory.
Back