• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Shirley Sura

1. S

bomb sites in WWW2

Hi Kat I opened this link out of curiosity as I am looking for information about my Grandfather who was said to be in the Fire Service in WWII. I didn't find that information but I did find other information I have been searching for and it lead to more links and info for my family tree...
  2. S

Selly Oak Hospital 1970s

Hi again, not sure what I did then but I certainly lost my reply, forgive me if you have to read this twice. As I was saying, I do remember Selly Oak Hospital in the early 1970s. I worked there and lived in Woodlands Nurses home, where you were supposed to get a pass if you wanted to stay out...
  3. S

Thomas Granger

Hi does anyone have any information about Thomas Granger, 25 July 1909 - 1971? He was born at 18 Court 2 Francis Street, Aston, to William Granger and Maria Granger nee Callaghan. I know he lived at 13 St Clements Road with his wife Helena Florence Granger nee Moores (Flo) in the 1960s and...
  4. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

Thank You Ian I will do that now.
  5. S

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Kings is a petrol station now and no longer a part of West Brom. Does anyone remember Rebeccas?
  6. S

Items that have faded away

Does anyone remember the Hovis penny loaves?
  7. S

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

Mine was brandy on my dummy to make me sleep then as a young teenager it was scrumpy cider we got from the 'outdoor' in a Gallon stone jar Now I only drink for medicinal purposes!!
  8. S

Henrys & Oasis store

Talking of Henry's takes me back to my childhood, going to see Father Christmas and the Easter Farm. Oasis Takes me to my teenage years, along with Chelsea Girl, The Hole in the Wall then La Dolce vita, Rebecca's, The Top Rank... I could go on forever, does anyone else remember? Thanks for...
  9. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

Hi Hannah I have been to the back to back houses, it was a very enjoyable and interesting experience, particularly as I spent a very happy part of my childhood living in a back to back in Bradford. The only thing I would advise about the Birmingham back to backs is that the stairs are very...
  10. S

Trevor Street & St Clement's Road, Nechells

Hi all, I came across your posts whilst researching 13 St Clements Road Nechells where my Grandparents Flo and Tom Granger lived in the 1960s. Does anyone remember them or the sweet shop my great Grandmother worked in/owned? I think she was Alice Moores nee Ingram Regards Shirley
  11. S

The corner sweet shop

Hello, that was a really enjoyable opening thread as were the follow ups and replies. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the shops mentioned but I do remember a very tiny sweet shop in Nechells owned, I am told, by my maternal great grandmother Alice Emma Moores nee Ingram. It was more than...
  12. S

Grangers

Hi does anyone remember the Grangers from St Clements Road Nechells, My Grandparents, 1960s/70s? or the Grangers from Francis Street, My Great Grandparents, ealry 1900's
  13. S

Nechells

Hi John thanks for the reply, I am confused too
  14. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

Hi Judy, Thank you for your reply I'm really glad your Dad was also one of the lucky ones, sadly there were many who were not. I don't recognise any of the men in the photograph but I did not see much of my Granddad until 1960 and only remember him as being shorter than my Grandmother. with...
  15. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

My Grandfather was also a fireman in World War II and lived in Aston or more probably Nechells. I am also looking for information and will contact you if I find any. All I know is that he was said (by my mother) to have been too short to join the Army so went into the Fire Service. One day he...
Back