• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by sheldontony

1. S

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Astoness, thanks for that. I will have a look at streetview, be strange to see the big house that was used as an offlicence.
  2. S

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Great pics, I spent a lots of my childhood in Holt Road, my grandmother ran the of off licence there after leaving the Turks Head Bloomsbury St so I did explore the area a bit. I have looked for pictures of that road but had no luck.
  3. S

Sixties Music

I have jut read through this from day 1 and it has brought back loads of memories. Some years ago I found a regular venue at the Old Sils club in Solihull run by Malcolm Stent. Poor Boys were the resident band and they had lots of pals from the 60's brumbeat era that would turn up and play, you...
  4. S

Tyburn Road Bus Works

My father Bill Harris worked at all the garages as a maintenance plumber, joined when he came out of the army in 1946 ish. Retired around 1980. I attended xmas parties at Perry Barr and summer parties at the Stadium. Spent many an evening in the club at the Stadium and a club just off Spring...
  5. S

Black Sabbath

A friend of mine went to the O2 concert, paid to go in the "sound check" but won't tell me what it cost. To go in the dressing room to meet the band was £950 but not allowed to speak to them.. To think that when I lived in Knowle Tony was a regular sight walking around the village.
  6. S

Elmdon Airport

It was just a hut and probably went a long time ago.
  7. S

Elmdon Airport

At the time I frequented PB,s nightclub on Damson lane - now Solihull Moors ground. That was used by engineers from various airlines, Orion etc. I got to know a few and hence taken to Warwick Club. I was once invited to accompany a senior engineer on a test flight to Alicante, great time...
  8. S

Elmdon Airport

Not officially that I know of.
  9. S

Elmdon Airport

The Warwick club was a private club near the old entrance. Used by aircrew and engineers but open to public.
  10. S

Avro Lancaster Nx611 Just Jane

Superb pics. Can you imagine sitting in the rear turret, being attacked. How did those men cope?
  11. S

There were some excellent views of the actual dams, amazing how the aircraft managed to get in and out. Ono pilot was interviewed that had to return to base due to damage to his aircraft. Guy Gibson complained he had been flying too high at 100 feet.
  12. S

If you get a chance to see that programme it is well worth it. On the raid the aircraft had to fly below 50 ft, amazing when you take into account the wingspan.
  13. S

That is a fantastic pic, shows how small a Lancaster was. How did men go up in them, risking being attacked, malfunctions etc.
  14. S

I saw a timewatch programme recently about the dambusters that featured this aircraft. The programme actually went inside and showed the cockpit. Very interesting.
  15. S

Sheldon

I lived off Garretts Green lane until mid 70s and remember Kents Moat. I read history of it once and I believe it was an old Anglo Saxon settlement.
Back