• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by shavedfish49

1. shavedfish49

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

I saw this DVD on sale at the National Trust reburbished back to backs near the Hippodrome when I visited there 3 or 4 years ago. You could give them a ring on 0121 622-2442
  2. shavedfish49

Birmingham Cinemas

Thanks Chris for the pics of The Capitol and the informative piece explaining the changes. It was a long narrow cinema and was never on a par with The Beaufort. Furthermore, the trains rumbling by adjacent to the cinema spoilt the concentration and brought reality back to the patrons!
  3. shavedfish49

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Great Chris B thanks for bringing back many memories! After moving from Nechells, the Beaufort (and the Capitol) were my local cinemas. I can tell you after scores of Saturday matinees at the Ashted Row picture house, the Beaufort was like a palace. The background to the style and design it...
  4. shavedfish49

GER22VAN Thanks for that now I can get my bearings!
  5. shavedfish49

You've probably got this pic. It's the corner of Francis Street. I don't know the other road.
  6. shavedfish49

"There's a hole in my bucket dear LIZA!"
  7. shavedfish49

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

db84124....Close, but it was Polly that was on the mopstick!!!
  8. shavedfish49

St Matthews school, Duddeston (Nechells) Newbie!

Hi Bill welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find a lot of memories flooding back and there's some great people on here to help you out. Did I read your message correctly, your wife has an old pic of the children at St Matthews? If so please, please post it. Pics of the school are as rare as...
  9. shavedfish49

Averill

Cabman2; I'd forgot all about the ABC Minors at the Gaiety it was certainly better than the 3d Saturday matinee at the Ash-hole as the Ashted was commonly known. I lived in Godwin Street and went to St Matthews school too, but I've a terrible memory for the shop names however. Like you I used...
  10. shavedfish49

St Chads Hospital, Hagley Road

Not much on Google but this link gives some background history: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2442&page=75 In the 1960s I was taken ill with appendicitis and although I lived in Ward End they took me to St Chads, Hagley Road. It was a long journey in those...
  11. shavedfish49

Thornton Rd windows stonings in Alum Rock

My mother lived nearby and I remember her saying the police hadn't a ghost of a chance catching the suspect!
  12. shavedfish49

Back to Back addresses

Pheobe; Yes, that's correct. There is another spanner I can throw in the works.........some houses had the address e.g 3/24 Smith Street. This didn't mean 3 to 24 this meant 3 back of 24. Some courts were very small and had no court number so this was one way round it. There are some...
  13. shavedfish49

Back to Back addresses

Pheobe; Think of each court as being a cul-de-sac only each would have a number. So in theory you could have house number 10 on a particular street then court 1, then house 11 or 12 if they used the odds/evens system. Further down the same street it could be house 36 then a space for court 2...
  14. shavedfish49

Chamberlin/Chamberlain & Hookham

Well I worked there for a time in the late 60s and it was still a workhouse then! lol
  15. shavedfish49

Back to Back addresses

Imagination............a wonderful word, unless you have none! So Inge Street looks a bit clinical, a bit too clean, it is afterall a museum. I went to the York Railway museum and all of the engines were clean! A fault with Inge Street in my opinion is that the brickwork looks new. Anyone who...
Back