• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by sez

1. S

Quinton Hall for aged men

Hi All Sorry for the delay in letting you know the outcome of my research into Quinton Hall. I've only just had the information back. It doesn't give much away, but I have dates that my great grandfather was there and all I know is he was admitted for 'medical treatment' - no idea what that was...
  2. S

So the lady dealing with information request is on holiday for two weeks...will let you know when I hear back from them, but sounds like it *might* be free research...but I'll wait for this woman to confirm when back.
  3. S

I've contacted Bham Library again re the minutes and they've sent me a form to complete to request access, but they also suggested another source: "I found another book which might be of interest to you...
  4. S

I wonder why they didn't mention this...thanks so much, I'll see if they can be accessed!
  5. S

Hi, I'm afraid I couldn't locate anymore information. I asked Carl Chin and Bham Library but nothing yet. If I do I will post on here where they are, I'd love to get more information about why my great grandfather was admitted and from where as I have no address for him from 1922 - 1938
  6. S

Edgbaston Estate Office Hagley Road

Does anyone know anything about the Edgbaston Estate Office on the Hagley Road (139) a great aunt was a domestic servant there in 1932.
  7. S

Brickmakers, Publicans & Watermen

Lots to look into - yes I wondered if there was at one point some wealth or strong link to the community some of the addresses appear to be well to do areas. More to do, but this helps a lot and another pub name now to explore!
  8. S

Yes I've read up to get definition of waterman and also the links to the different careers. My ancestor John Everton (c1803 - 1885) occupation goes as follows: 1841 - waterman Place: Island Droitwich, further down census it says Lower Vines. 1851 - Labourer Place: Hallow 1861 - Ag Labourer...
  9. S

Hi all I've recently discovered a few new occupations in the family and wondered if anyone had tips on where to look for records etc. I found an ancestor of mine worked at Stockfield Brick Works and I've got some more info but what I really want and it's a long shot, is a book by Albert H...
  10. S

Thanks...aged men of merit, not heard that one before! He worked for the family business in Birmingham and it did fairly well, despite the German connections, so may be he was socially seen as doing well, I would assume he at one point had some decent money coming in.
  11. S

This is fantastic!!! Gives a really good insight to his daily life there - as much as it would have been nice that he had stayed with the family and not been what appears to be 'kicked out' it sounds like he could have been quite comfortable at least...it's just discovering the 20s- 1939 now and...
  12. S

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Quinton Hall, there's not a lot of information I've been able to find on it. I was searching the 1939 register for my great grandfather and he turned up in this home listed as retired & infirm. My research led me to understand the guardians of...
  13. S

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

Hi Jess If you are still researching by any chance, my ancestor, Clara Smith, was admitted to Rubery Hill on 20th July 1904 and died there on 23rd April 1906. She had a weak and feeble heart. If you find anything I'd be very interested to hear from you. I don't have photos of her, but have a...
  14. S

Smith Clara W abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames

Re: Clara W Smith abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames Yes this is possible- I'll have to get the certificate if I don't find anymore records, I plan to have another crack at it over the holidays. Thanks for that I'll let you know what I find.
  15. S

Smith Clara W abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames

Re: Clara W Smith abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames Thanks for that information it helps clarify a few things. Clara's birthday of 1888 seems too far out though. In 1901 she was 21 so I assume 1879 - 80. It's so difficult researching Smith!!I think I'll have to take another look at the...
Back