• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by senoraruz

1. S

Stechford Road Junior School

Am I right in thinking that is Mr Jones standing with the team.
  2. S

Stechford Road Junior School

I must be somewhere on that photo, although my eyesight isn't what it was. Remember Mt Kesterton well.
  3. S

Gas Holders in Birmingham

We could see the Nechells ones from our bedroom window in Hodge Hill Also had a good view of the cooling towers , although from ground level you would never have known they were there.
  4. S

Birmingham buses

I hear that the Outer Circle is being split in two. Please tell me it's not true.
  5. S

Alum Rock Road Shops

I've spent hours looking for a reference to the pork butchers. Was beginning to think it was my imagination. My gran used to swear by their meat & I often went there with her before I started school (in the early 50s). If I remember correctly it was called perry's.
  6. S

Union Street

Pretty sure the 55 stopped in Old Square in my day. Used to catch it when going to my grandmother's house in Stechford lane.
  7. S

Union Street

Is my memory playing tricks. I left Birmingham in 1973, but previously lived in Hodge Hill & I'm sure we caught the 56 bus to the Fox & Goose from outside Henry's in Union Street. Please would someone confirm or deny this.( Incidentally I remember the entrance to C&A in Union Passage.)
  8. S

My Nan's sayings

When someone asked Gran where something was & she didn't know she'd say "It's on the corner of Bull St & Alum Rock"
  9. S

How Aston Villa won, and lost the FA cup in the same year.

I have that drawing (or at least a copy of it) The cup replacement was designed & engraved by my grandfather William Norman who was chief designer & engraver for Fattorini & sons in Bradford, In the 1930s he moved with them to Birmingham to premises in the Jewellery Quarter,. My mother was born...
  10. S

Long gone shops

I believe C&A have shops in Spain. (how much longer is anyone's guess)
  11. S

sayings

Don't know if it's exclusively Brummie, but when you were miserable, you "looked like you'd lost a ten bob note & found a gas bill"
  12. S

Unable to access a site I have been using for many years, following a Windows update.

I have been using Rootschat for many years & in fact I was using it until around 4pm yesterday. Windows did one of it's wonderful updates at about 5 pm &when I tried to log into Rootschat this morning, access was denied, saying that the site was unsafe. Please has anyone any idea how I can solve...
  13. S

Hodge Hill Junior School

Hi Judy. Now I know your surname, of course I remember you. If I remember rightly, your mum had a florists shop in Coleshill Road. (or was that someone else.) I Think you can send a private message by clicking on my name. Not sure though.
  14. S

Hodge Hill Junior School

I started in September 1950 & left in July 1956. I'm still in touch with Christine Pearce (now Bennett). We started on the same day & our birthdays are 2 weeks apart.... we won't mention how many we have had !!! Marion Judson (nee Davis)
  15. S

Hodge Hill Junior School

I have a group photo of the reception class, with the girls dressed as fairies & Philip Scriven in a pixie outfit!!!.
Back