• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Sajohn

1. S

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I have a Mitsubishi Pajero 4X4. The rego docos call it a 'Wagon' after estate wagon I presume. John
  2. S

Lucas products and services

Post #2 Mere Green - H.V. silicone conductors. That's the squishy stuff that's in boob implants isnt it Vivienne - sorry, only joking - silicon without the e. John
  3. S

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Chris Drove over the canal bridge daily from 1962 until 1985. I don't remember the imposing looking property on the Stratford side of the bridge altho' Google shows several more modern looking buildings along that stretch (some of which I don't recognise!) The one thing that did change was the...
  4. S

Coffee Bars:

Jennyann Surely El Torro was in Ethel St on the left going down from New St. Opening in 1958? I am sure that I went to the El Torro in the middle '50s & cant remember paying to get in. John
  5. S

Sparkhill Baths

Hi Just found this thread. As of July'15 Google suggest that the baths still stands as I remember them. Went to Yardley Grammar 1949/54 & used to go to the baths 52 -54 on the way home from school. The earlier postings from ellbrown show the diving boards at the deep end. I still remember...
  6. S

Moseley Road Baths

Re: Moseley Swiming Baths Open Day Moseley Swimming Baths - is this the home of the Dolobran(?) swimming club in the 1930's. I think that my father was treasurer of the club until WW2. I gathered that he was relieved that when the war came & the club was disbanded. John
  7. S

Cocks Moor Woods Golf Course Crater

In the late 40's early 50's I used to accompany my father to Cocksmoor Wood golf course on Saturday morning for his round of golf with his colleagues from work. My recollections of the course were a wooden(?) hut at the entrance & the hole where my father used to loose balls. I think you had to...
  8. S

Broadspeed Cars

Hi. Remember well the Broad brothers in Sparkhill/Camp Hill, under the railway arches just the other side from Camp Hill Grammar. Used to buy engine parts for our Mini which we used to rally. I always thought their claim to fame in the 60's was their 105E's winning the British Saloon Car...
  9. S

Measurements

Mike "a convenient weight...........carried easily by the coalman" With the Health & Safety regs nowdays I think the limit now is 25kg or 55lbs in old money! John
  10. S

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville Viv, Thanks v much for that link. It looks as tho' the "local pub historians" information about loading churns onto the boats was actually off loading them! or perhaps I misunderstood. Interestingly, Cadbury's Milk Choc is popular here in Australia but it doesnt, to...
  11. S

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville Vivienne14 Only just seen seen your link on Chocolate Charlie running from Ellesmere Port. We lived in Islington on the Shrewsbury branch (near Newport) for 20+ years so that the Shropie was quite close. We regularly jogged or rode along the canal & passed the dock at...
  12. S

Lucas Factory Works Demolition In Shaftmoor Lane Birmingham

Re: The Demolition of the Former Joseph Lucas Factory Works in Shaftmoor Lane Birming Looks to me like a 3 storey building & the only one on the site that I remember (I left there in 1966!) is the newer one built across the end of the BW3 factory & housed the auto shop on the ground floor...
  13. S

JFK Kennedy Memorial Mosaic

We were in the cinama at Stratford on Avon when we heard. The film was halted & a slide with the details scratched on it was projected. I think we continued to watch the rest of the programme afterwards
  14. S

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

G'day Yes, Yardley Secondary/Grammar was at the corner of Readings Lane & Warwick Rd. When I was there in 1950 to 54 it was a mixed Grammar School but when my father was there in 1920 to 24 it was a boys only Seconary School. It had not changed much between these dates except for a few more...
  15. S

Lucas Labs Research & Development

Hello Anne Yes I remember Phil Reasbeck. I first met him when he was MD(?) of the Battery Factory in Formans Rd where my father worked. During the 70's I worked at the Semiconductor Pilot Line at Marshal Lake Rd so had a lot of contact with the Research Centre. We all used to go down the...
Back