• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by RussH

1. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Hi, your mother in law lived two doors down from my Grandmother. She would have been 10 years old in 1934, her parents were Heurtley and Martha Pittaway, she had 7 brothers and sisters.
  2. R

Bankes Road and Garretts Green Lane

Hi Rosie, I really appreciate that, thank you
  3. R

Bankes Road and Garretts Green Lane

Hi Rosie, I know this is a bit old now, apologies. I wonder if you might remember any one called Neil Harrison or Steve Harrison then?
  4. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Great, thanks MoHawk, so that picture I posted looks to be the remaining school. It's likely she went there if she lived in Lime Grove.
  5. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Thanks for thr reply Mike Could the part in the below photo, next to the mosque be part of it?
  6. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Hi, Just revisiting this thread. I'm assuming that back in the 1930s that children typically attended school very local to them as transport was minimal. I am therefore trying to have a guess what school my Nan could have attended that were close to Lime Grove. Does any one have any knowledge of...
  7. R

High Park Street, Nechells

My Great Great Grandmother and Grandfarther were still in Number 22 in 1939, and my Great Grandmother was still at number 51 in 1965. Im not sure when they got demolished, but they were demolished to build what is now WingYip!! (A large Chinese Food supplier)
  8. R

High Park Street, Nechells

Hi Claire, Was interesting to see you post about number 22 High Park, as my family ended up there as well (sometime around 1910 / 1920), and that address appears on a number of my familys marriage certs. The houses were back to back, so there was likely two families living at number 22. One...
  9. R

High Park street Nechells

At Some point between the 1939 Census and 1945 Electoral register, they moved from Number 20 to Number 51 High Street. A 1965 Electoral register shows them still at number 51, Before moving to Chelmsley at some point I notice on the below Map that in 1954 Number 20 has gone and replaced by a...
  10. R

Hi Pete, It sounds like you grow up in a similar style house. What was it like round there in those days?
  11. R

But that garden is very long for a slum house, I wonder who had the garden, the back or the front!
  12. R

I do recall it mentioned that my grandad lived in a back to back house, and I must admit when I read in various census and docume that it was "at the back of 20" I was thinking it was in the back garden of 20. But it's likely you are right that it was the back part of house 20.
  13. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Thanks MoHawk Just out of interest, where do you find these photos?
  14. R

Fantastic, Thabks MoHawk. You see the houses back from High Park Street, like they are in the back gardens of the two Rows of houses. Do you think they were the house they called "Back of Number 20"
  15. R

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Hi Mohawk, I dont suppose you have an aerial view of High Park Street circa 1930 as well do you? Cheers Russ
Back