• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Russell

1. R

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

Also Chris Hill who went on to work for HMRC
  2. R

I am Russell Powis and was at YGS from 1958 to 1965 Apart from the WAJ I remember Les Guv Young Latin and sports Sam Saunders maths Mr shuttlecock geography Geoff Brown history but scared the life out of me when he spent a lesson to explain about the Cuban missile crisis Brian Hobby. French...
  3. R

I believe the other house was Este
  4. R

Roast chestnut vendor !!

Certainly there was one in Stephenson Street and I also think in the Bull Ring. Such an aroma which you cannot replicate with any oven
  5. R

Betting Shops Bookies Bookmaking

As a child in the 50's I recall going with my dad to go to the bookies The only thing I can remember is that he would leave me at the bottom of a hill and he would then go up the hill to place the bet No idea where... possibly Holloway Head
  6. R

Scout Jamboree Sutton park

I also went to the Jamboree in 1957 at Sutton Park I was only a wolf cub at the time with the 110th Birmingham group in Acocks Green (alas no more) but we 'performed ' to the music from Mars from Holst's Planets suite I remember being dressed in blue? costumes with flashes on I also collected...
  7. R

Village

Emily Sarah Village was born 28 April 1849 to Joseph and Harriet nee Colleycut There are a few Villages in Birmingham at the time who are undoubtedly connected
  8. R

Village

I have Villages within my family tree Russell
  9. R

I attended yardley grammar school between 1958 and 1965 The missing school house was Este
Back