• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Roy Blakey

1. R

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

I fancy that Rod Templar just about puts an earlier “ Era “ of “ Childhood “ in a nutshell with his comments here.
  2. R

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

NOSTALGIA, Hard to explain the feeling of looking at something like this that was so memorable and pleasant.
  3. R

Taking note of the recent thunder and lightening storms that have swept across our area. Caused me to wonder how the dog and cat pets of many had coped. The storms seemed to have demonstrated an inordinate amount of continuous thunder claps and lightening flashes. I think that we all know that...
  4. R

You are absolutely right Lyn. You have in your post pointed out a couple of descriptions tat I failed to mention. I do remember how most of the so called " back to back " residents made their utmost efforts to keep their dwelling very much " spic and span " and yes. I recall that " cosy "...
  5. R

Have been pondering with what might have been some of the greatest periods of " growing up in Brum " I've been thinking that one of these periods must have been around the times that " Slum Clearances " were taking place, when some children suddenly found themselves living on their new council...
  6. R

Village " Wine Making " ( Greece ). Painting By Roy Blakey.

Painted after a great holiday spent on Corfu.
  7. R

I recall a period during WW2 when we kids started experimenting with " invisible ink messages ". I think we were imagining ourselves as some sort of boy and girl " spies ". At the time the nation was getting pretty conscious of such things as " espionage ". Posters and Notice Boards all around...
  8. R

LEAD SOLDIERS, WIND UP TOYS AND CARDBOARD CASTLES. A typical young boys story from a while back period. JUST HAD'NT BEEN HIS DAY. This morning his mates came round to join in and play with his wind up railway engine. One of them " over wound " the key operation and now the spring has jammed...
  9. R

Comment to " adap2it ". Dave, your " glarnies and badges " mention. This WAS another addition to the school playground activities of the time. It was very popular at our school, for sure. If you have a moment, go back to Page 2 , Post #27 ( on this thread ). Roy.
  10. R

" Timely breaks ". Time period : 1940's. Following a couple of stiff classroom lessons, it was, for most of the children, a joy to escape to the school playground for the mid-morning and the mid-afternoon break periods. This was where the children had the chance to play a few quick games and mix...
  11. R

" A GREAT SUBSTITUTE " I think it would be reasonably fair to say that during the 1930's period many Birmingham children did not have the slightest chance of a holiday " at the sea-side ". So the " bucket and spade " , the bare foot play on the beach and the " paddles in the sea " was not to be...
  12. R

" Strip Down ". Period : 1946 I recall, for a fair number of " kids / young men ", that this was the period of that year when they returned to their home made Cycle Speedway tracks to tidy up the racing cicuit and begin practicing for the coming new season of competitions. Stripping their bikes...
  13. R

EXCITEMENT and ANTICIPATION again. A scenario that I guess never changes. Take little Charlie and his older brother Jack ( both in bed a bit early on Christmas Eve ). Little Charlie : " How does Father Christmas get down our chimney Jack ? " Jack : " Cus he's got magic that makes him small...
  14. R

Been thinking about, as a child, how I remember the prevailing atmosphere as we entered into World War Two. I recall, even as a kid, observing the " grown ups " concern about what the future might hold for their families, their friends and the country as a whole. Even we kids realised that the "...
Back