• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by roly

1. roly

Raydex Limited

I have been trying to find the history of this firm, along with Parker and Osborne who were next to each other on the corner of Scotland Street and Louisa Street. My father worked in Louisa Street and I remember these factories derelict ( late 60s / early 70s. ) I was only a little lad, 5 or...
  2. roly

Street furniture

They didn't need to be reset for summer / winter! When checking or resetting the clock the time was set by setting the dial against one of 2 pointers. 1 pointer was W and the other S ( winter or summer ) the clock also incorporated a calender as the days passed the calender would advance and...
  3. roly

Street furniture

Only 1 in 3 electric lamps burned all night. The others switched off at 11pm and re-lit at 5 am. In the summer they didn't re light at all. You could tell which lamps were all night burners as they had a red dot painted on the column, just beneath the ladder arms.
  4. roly

Street furniture

The gas lamp is mounted on a Revo " long base Moseley " column dating from around 1948 - 1952. Its replacement is a Revo " forward " column with a Revo C 11406 " hatfield " lantern. Specially designed by Birmingham city and manufactures Revo and unique to the city.
  5. roly

Street furniture

The lamp-post is a Revo " festival " They were designed jointly by BCC and the manufacturer, Revo of Tipton, in 1951 in honour of the festival of Britain.
  6. roly

Street furniture

I was surprised that this one was still here. I worked in that building opposite nearly 40 years ago. Stoney Lane / Alfred Road
  7. roly

Statue by Highgate Road.

I seem to remember, although it was 40 years ago, there used to be a statue in Highgate Road by Ladypool Road in a grassed area and it had wrought iron raillings around it with gates. Can't remember who the statue was. Anyone help or have I dreamt it! Thanks.
  8. roly

Vehicle Registration Numbers

"AON" February 1960.
  9. roly

Vehicle Registration Numbers

"AON" February 1960.
  10. roly

Pineapple Bridge

I remember it very well. Back in the late 60s and 70s they were the school playing fields and were fenced of with wrough iron railings. Piggy Lane between the ash path and Dawberry Fields Road used to flood quite badly. It's all common land now and the railings have gone.
  11. roly

Bus Stops

I think they were " football specials " There was one in Victoria Square in the mid 70s
  12. roly

The Travel Card Bus

I have the front "triple indicator" number box from 2820. Got it when it was parked up in the "scrap pile" outside Quinton garage - early 80s.
  13. roly

The No.14 bus

Birmingham used the "5 barrel " ultimate machines. Originally on certain tram services in 1950. Washwood Heath routes? - Memory fail someone will tell us!
  14. roly

The No.14 bus

Just wondered if this is any help to you:- The 14 began on the 13-12-33 as a feeder service to the Alum Rock tram (8) from Pelham Road to Stud lane. It was extended 11-04-34 to Swancote road (Glebe Farm) as service 14A Extended from Alum Rock to City 13-10-37 Extended (with a slight diversion)...
  15. roly

Bus stops

Now you mention it I remember seeing One or Two of them in the City centre in the early 70's when i was a little boy. I may be wrong but I think they were for football specials.
Back