• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by RogFromBrum

1. RogFromBrum

Workhouse birth

Hi Alberta, On my father's birth certificate (1911) the informant was T M Hardie of 99 Dudley Road (the address of the Dudley Road Workhouse Infirmary). Ten years earlier, in the 1901 census, T Martin Hardie was described as Head, and as Master of Infirmary. That bears out your theory that the...
  2. RogFromBrum

Workhouse birth

That information from the LMA is very interesting, Colin, and ties in with the sanitised addresses on my father and uncle's birth certificates. Perhaps it was a national policy at that time? For Dudley Road Workhouse Infirmary, do you happen to know if a register of baptisms still exists for...
  3. RogFromBrum

Workhouse birth

Hi ShavedFish49, What you describe seems no different to what my own grandmother did (see my post above) where she went into a workhouse infirmary in 1908 and again in 1911 to give birth to my uncle and my father. These places were workhouse infirmaries and, as Colin B as pointed out, they...
  4. RogFromBrum

Workhouse birth

Hi Colin, Thanks for that. I knew that it became Dudley Road Hospital but I wasn't sure when. I assume that when my father was born in 1911 there was still some stigma associated with the place which is presumably why the address of 99 Dudley Road was used. Interestingly, looking at the The...
  5. RogFromBrum

Workhouse birth

My father was born at 99 Dudley Road in 1911 - this is the address of the Dudley Road Workhouse Infirmary. I'm not sure whether this is the same as the Birmingham Workhouse - if it's not, then this information may be no help to you :( Like you, I was interested in getting more information so I...
  6. RogFromBrum

The Bell Inn

Thanks gee, Thomas Hailstone (who was transported to Tasmania) was my 3g grandfather. His father, George Hailstone, had married a Catharine/Catherine Butler. Presumably, Charlotte Butler was related to Catharine/Catherine Butler?? The Hailstone line is a part of my past that I've only just...
  7. RogFromBrum

The Bell Inn

Hi gee, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Bell Inn at Northfield, but I am descended from Butlers and Hailstones and they do seem to have had quite a lot of interest in pubs. I did a search of trade directories at https://www.historicaldirectories.org/ but I didn't score any hits for...
  8. RogFromBrum

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

Thanks JennyAnn, This website (https://www.hunimex.com/warwick/inns-brum.html) also suggests that there was only one Green Man in the Erdington area, at least there was only one in 1874. Cheers, Roger
  9. RogFromBrum

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

Hello, I'm trying to trace a pub mentioned in the will of a Margaret Butler in 1813. She refers to the Green Man, Wood End, Erdington. I know of the Old Green Man (now the Lad in the Lane), Bromford Lane, Erdington but I'm trying to find out if Margaret's pub is the same one or whether there...
Back