• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by rockit

1. R

Great Brook Street Aston - Where is /was it?

Hi jativy I was looking for trace of Prices arriving in Bham about then. Any idea where your Prices came in from and job/profession please, as a matter of interest (not related to Prices but on another matter of interest).
  2. R

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

My great grandfather G Birkbeck was 'Licensed Victualler' there, as noted in 9001 Census, but previously was a 'travelled' engineer. No known photos of premises left to family afaik.
  3. R

The landlord was Geo. Birkbeck and was there 1901 (census record)
  4. R

If you were there about 120 years ago and had some change from 1/0 (a shilling = 12d ) for a pint, you might have been given a token which could have been exchanged on your next visit... which you would almost certainly have made (to get your money's-worth). Here's photos of an actual token from...
  5. R

robin hood cinema

Yes I remember the Robin Hood it had double seats in back rows and showed lesser known films, afaicr. Wasn't really a good building for its Waitrose conversion but I did use that store for a time as it was on my way home from work. I remember seeing The Happening "a 1967 Columbia Pictures film...
  6. R

Aston St Aston Road Lichfield Road pubs

maybe a swan with two nicks i.e. marks on its neck to indicate something about its ownership or status
  7. R

Radio Supply Company Great Western Arcade

Pretty sure it was Radio Supply Company. I used it often for bits. Good service. Had my first reel-to-reel then cassette recorders. I think they had "Hi-Fi" separates and speakers before disappearing. RSC and Sherwoods (opposite?) were great shops.
Back