• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by rocketron

1. R

Rootes Birmingham

Finally found a photo of Rootes Birmingham in Charlotte Street. The building with the Rootes sign across the windows is still there. At the time of the photo it was the entrance to the spares department.
  2. R

old car snaps

I was working at Rootes in Charlotte street at the time had the same problem with the old Humber Snipe would hang the car up via the spark plug holes for days working oil down around the studs before the head would loosen
  3. R

old car snaps

My first car was a Standard Flying 8 registered in 1938 I bough it in 58 great little car considering it was 20 years old
  4. R

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome

There is a good book covering the both Castle Bromwich aerodrome and Elmdon airport through the war period. It has photos of war production at both the Austin Longbridge and Fisher & Ludlow Castle Bromwich Plants. Aviation in Birmingham. Geoffrey Negus & Tommy Staddon, Midland Counties...
  5. R

Rootes Birmingham

Very interesting Len, would you believe I was one of those apprentices road testing the Imp. We covered a fair few miles every day, one route being. Linwwod, Ayr, Stranraer, Dumfries back to Linwwod. What more could a young man want, a nippy little car free petrol and the freedom to cover...
  6. R

Rootes Birmingham

Thanks Shera, Unfortunately its not Rootes Birmingham the main dealer owned by Rootes Group. But I did enjoy watching the clip, the tram photos brought back memories.
  7. R

Rootes Birmingham

Hi I’m looking for photos of Rootes Birmingham in Charllote Street, and Coventry Road Small Heath later known as George Heath Motors. Ron
  8. R

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome

Hi. I was one of the lucky youngsters to be taken to both the Castle Bromwich air show and the one at Elmdon. My dad also stumped up the ten bob each for our first flight in a Dragon Rapide. The attached photo was taken by my mom with a 1936 Kodac Brownie camera, hence the poor quality.
  9. R

Home Guard

This photo is of my fathers Home Guard unit on parade some were in Perry Bar at the time he lived and worked in Nechells. My farther later transferred to an Anti Aircraft Gunnery unit sited near at Water Orton. Moderator comment: There is more information about this image on the following...
  10. R

old car snaps

In my opinion the best car I ever owned, my 1960 Ford Consul 375 Low Line. Ideal courting car, it had a front bench seat wide enough to seat three, column gear change and umbrella hand brake set under the dash panel. Happy days!
  11. R

old car snaps

This is a photo of my 1939 Standard Flying 8. The photo was taken on the car park of Rootes Birmingham in 1959. The car park was a cleared building site between Charlotte Street, George Street and The Parade.
  12. R

Air Raid in or near Nechells

Hi Chris, My mom lived in Railway Terrace at the time of the air raid on Newton’s. She was pregnant at the time and was advised by the midwife to go to the air raid shelter under Newton’s, were she could be cared for together with other expectant mothers. Fortunately she refused and stayed...
Back