• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by robroy

1. R

Braithwaite Road Sparkbrook

Hi I think Braithwaite Road is in Sparkbrook not Sparkhill ..
  2. R

Sheldon

Devonjim..Thank you for for your reply..I lived for 10 years next to Hays Kents Moat and had no idea of its history Regards Roy.
  3. R

Sheldon

Hi,From 1960 to 1970 my family lived on Sheldon Heath Road just around the corner from an area of open ground that we called The Moat,now called Hays Kents Moat.The area had a deep wide ditch around the perimeter which was a great adventure playground and off road cycle track for us kids and I...
  4. R

Old street pics..

Phil..Thank you for posting the pictures of Kyrwicks Lane particulary Ronnie the barber..I was a regular customer from a early age ..I remember he had a padded board which he places across the arms of his barbers chair to raise us up a bit..I can remember the bakery and the chip shop..We left...
  5. R

Old street pics..

Hi Ray I think there was a fish and chip shop in that row of shops as well.Roy
  6. R

Old street pics..

Hi Ray I remember Mrs Wallace the baker on kyrwicks lane They used to deliver bread locally in one of those three wheeled wicker basket trolleys..It takes you back! I also remember a barbers shop next door but I can:t recall a name. Roy.
  7. R

Bread Factory,s

I have very fond memories of Hayleys bakery.In the 1950s we lived in Oughton Road which ran behind Hawleys.Our house was next to the bread van garage, it was like an adventure playground for us boys especially on Sundays when all the vans were parked up .We were on first name terms with most of...
  8. R

OUGHTON PLACE , Aston , Birmingham

Hi..In the 1950s we lived in Oughton Road Highgate...My mother worked at a jewellers on Kyrwicks Lane..Sparkbrook isnt an area normally associated with the manufacture of jewellery I remember a long low roofed building full of stamping and pressing machines very dickensian . can anyone remember...
  9. R

Small Heath Streets

Hi Badpenny..Nice picture of the redevelopment of Small Heath ..strange that the small group of houses remain untouched amid all that devastation ..Roy
  10. R

The Circus Comes to Sparkbrook.

Hi Two..Thanks for posting the Main Street Circus pictures They have brought back a lot of childhood memories Regards Roy
  11. R

Hi Phil Do you have a date for the Phyllis Nicklin photo?..You can see new houses on both sides of King Street..Could it be mid 50s. Roy
  12. R

Hi Phil I think the photo of the Circus was earlier than 1953 , possibly 1949..50. there was new building on the sites between Spark Street and King Street in the early 50s ..Its all a bit of a distant memory now ..I cant be sure Regards Roy
  13. R

Hi Mowhawk...thats a great picture of Main Street..The Circus tent would have been on the bomb site in the top of picture , The photographer was standing on the open ground to the left of your white lines..looking down Main Street to his right ...It brings back a lot of memories
  14. R

Hi Phil..Looking back at the picture on the forum with the elephant in the foreground ,you can just make out a small shopfront that I remember being on Main Street,and to the right in the picture the backs of the houses in Spark Street I hope this helps in locating the site ..Roy
  15. R

Hi Phil.I lived in Oughton Road Highgate in 1951. I attended Christ Church school on Stratford Road. To get there I walked along Highgate Place across Kywicks Lane down Priestley Road through a passage between houses, which came out on the bomb building site where the marque is pictured, then...
Back