• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by robert mcgowan

1. R

Forum Donations

method of donation by cheque please
  2. R

Map Of W W2 Bombing

phil, that map is not very good, and I don't know if there is a better one , but one of the best sites for information on the bombing in Birmingham and the rest of the country is , to be found on the bbc archive programme "" the peoples war " excellent . rw mcgowan
  3. R

Forum Donations

breaking in on the posts, I have a question can I donate by cheque , and to whome please Robert McGowan.
  4. R

A visit to the Doctor.

i had to reply to this post , many ,many years ago i was laid up in bed with what turned out to be pneumonia ,i had to have a home visit from my doctor , who happened to be doctor macgregor out of gooch street practice , he came in to my room smoking a cigarette, prescribed some kind of...
  5. R

Hope Street School Birmingham

hello mandy brown, sorry i cant identify anyone in the photo, but it is many years ago , when i met pat roach just before he passed away , i recognised him right away , mainly because of his size , and seeing his photo in the papers, at school he was tall and lanky , somewhere i have a...
  6. R

mandy glad it helped you, , didnt know many people fro st lukes road only the fact that my best friend at the time went to st davids school, he was jewish religion he lived in upper cox street west , the funny thing was that on a morning when we approached belgrave road we would be joined by...
  7. R

mandy, i thought there would have been lots of answers to your request, as i am sure there are a lot of balsall heath people on the site, and hope street school was one of the catchment schools for the area, i was at hope street from 1950 to 1952 , ithink mr anderton was my teacher i can...
  8. R

Radio

maureece , remember the radio programmes from years ago, life with lyons "ect" like all young people at the time we had life to discover, not sitting in the house , on sundays i used to go frantic to get out of the house , when my father turned on the radio to listen to "sing something simple"...
  9. R

Graham Webb

graham , hope you get your place on broad street soon ,you have earned it , after all we ex balsallheathens havent got many world champions , there is a vc, a wrestler, cricketer and football player, boxers , but cannot think of another world champ having done a certain amount of cycling do...
  10. R

Veterans Badge

having survived caterham pirbright egypt and abingdon i think i have earned mine," joking" my father fought on the retreat from belgium to dunkirque getting wounded on the way ,also being wounded in 1945 ,he died a few years ago, so when this award came out i reckoned he deserved it, so i took...
  11. R

Graham Webb

to frederick, my cousin was raymond baker ,he lived in primrose avenue popular road, as i say "bert butterworth" was my friend at the time it was he who arranged this liason with the persons from leamington road ,we were never a part of the racing team ,you had to be commited...
  12. R

Graham Webb

to frederick, oddquestion that , mu cousins name is raymond baker, but my friend at the time was bert butterworth from clevedon road ,it was him who fixed up the places we went to and who with he worked on the coop milk so got to know his way around,rwm
  13. R

Graham Webb

to graham, sorry cannot remember names such a long time ago ,and it was a girl, her father worked at the "coop" bakery , she herself worked at " lanbars" just off sherbourne road , one of the persons i used to see was my cousin who lived in popular road just off the stratford...
  14. R

Graham Webb

to graham, as ex balsallheath have posted about this "miscarriage" on other sites as well as this one in the hope that someone in the know can do something about it, there are other ex bh people out there who will welcome it, we are scattered all over the globe but still keep...
Back