• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Rob Rolfe

1. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

Thank you
  2. Rob Rolfe

Looking for details of George Baker

Ten years after, I hope this thread is still open. Anne Baker, 11 mo in 1861, married Matthias Watts, who founded the Birmingham Fair.
  3. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

OK have made progress. Still looking for a good photograph, but now have found images of the book, which contains the names and hence I will be able to find the records. https://www.ukphotoarchive.org.uk/p1013607762/h98D87676#h98de1e47
  4. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

I have started another thread on yet another missing memorial, the thread is GEC memorial plaque now in WW1 discussion.
  5. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

Has anyone by any chance got a photograph of the large GEC war memorial, which disappeared in 1994?
  6. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

Many thanks indeed, the top one is new to me!
  7. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

Really looking hard for a good picture of the War Memorial plaque which disappeared in 1994 - can anyone help?
  8. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

OK it has been established that the missing plaque, stolen in 1994, was a list of GEC Witton workers who died in WW1. I really need a good photo of the plaque, can anyone help?
  9. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

And this: https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/199197
  10. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

This is what I have now, in the last few minutes, but much more info needed. Is there a list of the names anywhere?https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17339
  11. Rob Rolfe

GEC memorial plaque

There is a wall by the Greek Orthodox church of Holy Trinity and St Luke, (formerly the West Midlands Community Centre), with a space where some sort of memorial plaque used to be. Does anyone have any idea what used to be there? (have a picture but it's too large to post).
  12. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

Thanks so much for this info
  13. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

Thanks so much for this info.
  14. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

I am now in touch with several relatives (although none now live in Balsall Heath and only one in Birmingham), as a result of publicity and trawling family trees. We hope that several relatives will be attending our church on Saturday or Sunday.
  15. Rob Rolfe

Memorial found in a skip

Oddly this report is wrong about he award of the MC, which was gazetted posthumously in September 1918. The citation reads; "“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when forward observation officer. He remained at his post until his communications were cut and he was nearly surrounded...
Back