• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by rls

1. R

St Joseph's Nechells Lookups

Hi Nick St Josephs have their own web site www.stjosephs-nechells.co.uk Half way down the page there will be an icon for 'graveyard list' Anne is not listed but Richard Scott is very helpful and may be able to help His email is further down the page regards Bob
  2. R

st clements clean hands chart

Hi Astoness I have a copie of St Clements school register of girls dated from June 1943 to Nov 1945 (dates of admission) and there is not a Lilly Foster listed. regards Bob
  3. R

Killed by one of the first motor vehicles...c1911

Hi Kaz Can I suggest (if you havn't already) subscribed to the Birmingham Mailing list? It was someone from that group that got me my information. The address is [email protected] and just put 'subscribe' in the text part. Just put something similar to your message...
  4. R

Killed by one of the first motor vehicles...c1911

Hi Kaz Yes but you need to search the newspapers. My grandmother was run over by a truck in 1937 and there was quite a lot of details in the Birmingham Mail. I was able to get a death date and a friend went to the Birmingham Library and checked the papers around that date. She was run over on...
  5. R

Stamp Albums.

Yes I collected them as a youngster and so when I came to Australia in 1968 I started collecting Australian stamps and first day covers. Now that I have retired and can't afford the yearly outlay I want to sell 30 years of collecting and keeping them safe. No one wants to buy them. I cant even...
  6. R

Ration book britain

Ration books. I remember them well. My best pal at school lived in Cattells Grove Nechells and his house was opposite the paper mill. Every so often we would hop over the wall and get a handfull of loose coupons. Shopkeepers were supposed to cut them out of the book when a purchase was made. My...
  7. R

Red Lion Thimble Mill Lane Nechells

Sorry, can't help you with the state of Long Acre. I have lived in Australia since 1968. I lived opposite St Josephs Churchyard which is now a chinese grocery warehouse I believe. Regards Bob
  8. R

Red Lion Thimble Mill Lane Nechells

The Red Lion Pub on the corner of Thimble Mill Lane and High Park Street. I remember it well. It was the hang out of the local bookie Charlie Connor. He always had a half empty glass of beer on the bar and every few minutes he would come out and see if anyone was waiting to put a bet on...
  9. R

school records

Hi Philbee I have copies of St Clements infants enrollments from 1943 to 1946. High Park Street Period. These are available from the Birmingham Library top floor. Later years may not be released subject to a 50 year embargo. These admissions give full name. DOB, address, name of parent. I assume...
  10. R

The Mitre Nechells

Thanks for the photo of the Mitre pub. My family lived halfway between the Mitre and the Prince of Wales in Long Acre. It looks different to when I last saw it in 1950. Bob
  11. R

st clements sports

Hi Phil I was at St Clements around about that time but do not remember a benita. I have copies of the junior school records. I noticed that you are searching the names Birch and Buckerfield. I see that there was a Christopher Birch and a Constance and Irene Buckerfield all living at 3/162 Long...
  12. R

Air Raid in or near Nechells

Hi "Master Brummie" The photo of Newtons is in Long Acre and I used to live up the entry next to the Newtons Wall. This photo must have been taken in the late 50's as Newtons was further away during the war. regards Bob
  13. R

Walter Street, Nechells

try www.stjosephs-nechells.co.uk/index.htm
  14. R

High Park Street, Nechells

Hi Bryan Yes I can see your name in the school register as John Brian of 53 Mount Street. You must have been in a class before me as you were 12 months older. I am compiling my family tree and also contacting any school mates that I can remember. I left Nechells for the RAF and then lived in...
  15. R

High Park Street, Nechells

Hi Bryan Yes there a few of us on 'Friends reunited' from St Clements. I have the school register for enrolment from 1943 to 1946. Can't see a bryan with a 'Y' recorded. I was there from 1944 to 1951 then off to Elliot St school. Bob Steele
Back