• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Rita Hawkins

1. R

Prefabs

They were a brilliant design. No one these days seems able to come up with such clever but simple ideas. We lived in one of the Valley prefabs on Yardley Wood Road for 10 years.
  2. R

The Valley pub, Billesley

If your Dad was Vic he used to cross us over Y Wd Rd on our way home from school. Mom always bought her meat there.
  3. R

The Valley pub, Billesley

Isn't it interesting that we all loved our prefabs. Would we still enjoy living in them now, I wonder, when we've got used to having central heating, double glazing, fitted carpets, etc etc? I think I would.
  4. R

Great Lister Street and surrounding streets.

And does anyone know where catherine o'Shea's sweet shop was somewhere near by? She died in 1960.
  5. R

High Street, Saltley

With reference to the groups in posts 78 and 79, my grandparents, Albert and Elizabeth Wiltshire could have been there. Lizzie died in 1918 and Albert in 1927. They lived at 6 Corfield Terrace. I think Albert frequented the Tilt Hammer.
  6. R

Prefabs

Ours was built on the edge of Billesley Common, the Valley prefabs
  7. R

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

I was born there in 1944. My parents were definitely married.
  8. R

Heathfield Road Handsworth

I've just found this thread so a bit late coming to the party but I was born in Heathfield Rd Maternity Hospital too, and lived with my Mom in Hamstead Rd, in the front room of my Uncle and Aunt's flat. Hamstead Rd looks very smart now. I remember the trams coming up the middle of the road...
  9. R

Prefabs

On the topic of prefabs, I lived in one of the Valley prefabs on Billesley Common for 12 years. We loved living there, even though they were very cold in the winter.
Back