• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Richie

1. R

Subways

I think this one is colmore too, although the heading says its the Bull Ring https://www.architecture.com/image-library/RIBApix/image-information/poster/pedestrians-walking-through-the-bull-ring-underpass-birmingham/posterid/RIBA62705.html and then there's this one where you could play sardines...
  2. R

Wolverhampton Former Tram And Bus Garage Demolition

a sad day to come Horsencart, when it happens. I'm old enough in Wolverhampton to remember trolley buses popping in and out of that building-and either breaking down once in the open-air or either on their last legs inward and not quite able to finish their days' service. More memories on here...
  3. R

Erdington Picture House

My edition of "The ABC Story", the cinema trade's encyclopaedia of ABC cinemas does confirm 24 Nov.1956 as the final screening day.
  4. R

Birmingham Skyline

https://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-02091957-road-safety-demonstration-on-lewiss-roof/MediaEntry/2131.html
  5. R

Bull Street

This is a photo on Getty looking down the lower half of Bull Street (between Corporation Street and the News Theatre at the High Street junction). https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/3364698 Is the first street on the left the old Coach yard widened by the the time of this 1962 shot...
  6. R

Stephenson Street

I've not been to the city Centre renovations regarding the tram yet, but I'm not expecting delight. The last 'new' photo looks like the station frontage in the guise of a zeppelin with miniscule people on the ground overshadowed by it. Since the sun comes from the south its never going to be lit...
  7. R

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

You're getting there Maria, except time at the moment prevents me from scouring the internet from getting a picture of the Karmann Ghias. I thought Google had everything! The other trousers we lads wore were called "Skinners" white or blue denim. Over the weekend I'll look through some music...
  8. R

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Maria, I'm 62 years of age and by now having lost all traces of respectability (one reason why I've missed out on BHF meet-ups over the years) I can admit to having been very fashion conscious in those early 1970s years. The trousers we used to wear belonged to the design label of Karmann Ghia...
  9. R

Advertising in the past

I would imagine that the caricature is meant to represent the Mad March Hare in Alice in Wonderland, Dave. (Its Late, It's Late + the pocketwatch) Idea being in March (when the advert may have have been published) its time to get your savings in order for the 1st April each year.
  10. R

Tony Butler

Tony Butler from the Daily Mirror archive recently https://www.mirrorpix.com/?77747130448317740800
  11. R

1920s Toys & Board-games.

If we all remember Meccano Magazine from some years ago, which we discovered when studying Birmingham bus history? From the beginning of the magazine's publication, both the inside front (and mostly rear) pages featured plenty of advertising for children. Mostly technical gadgets-and for the...
  12. R

Where Is This Pub/club?

Not so much petrol Viv, as Paraffin. If readers remember the dramas we had in the 50s and 60s before the days of central heating/double glazing with such potentially dangerous apparatuses. Can't read the logo on the sign- it might be the owner's name display anyway.
  13. R

Corporation Street

Here's another early 1960s photo of the same location, which I posted in another thread a few years ago-to do with the Asian restaurants topic. This one has just a bit more period detail, the Austin A40 (remember them?) on this occasion with an 'L' plate tied onto the grill. Remember the...
  14. R

Masshouse Circus

It is Masshouse Circus looking south. Just the tip of St.Martin's spire but with St. Martins House in the way. Looks like there's a protest march in progress-on the expressway itself. The police van behind making sure if they stop they'll all get done for parking on double yellows..
  15. R

Christchurch Passage

Echoing DevonJim's post, it was a crime and no mistake to obliterate Galloway's Corner. So rich in architecture, yet made so individual by the shop-owners particularly on the Christchurch Passage side. I would hasten to say very French in aspect, yet very British in their charm. I think...
Back