• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Richard Ross

1. R

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Thanks for the photos of Handsworth Park Oisin. I have not been there for probably 40 years but it reminds me when I used to ride my bike through there early in the morning to the Grove Lane entrance on my way to Handsworth Grammar. Could not ride back home through there as it wasn't allowed.
  2. R

Soho Road Handsworth

This photo takes me back! I went to Handsworth Grammar just around the corner on Grove Lane and was caught playing snooker in the snooker hall by the headmaster when I should have been in school. The snooker hall was just up from the junction on the left on Soho Road. This was truly a memory...
  3. R

Delta Wire, Adderley Street.

My grandfather was a blacksmith and had a forge at 78 Adderley Street. His house and business was the first one up from Watery Lane. The Barrel pub was across the way. The house was also very close to Delta Wire works. Sadly the house has all been pulled down now to make way for the new road...
  4. R

Fiction Thriller based in Birmingham

Thank you Jim. BTW the website is a wonderful treasure trove of memories of Birmingham.
  5. R

Hello, I'm sorry. What should I do now? Thank you, Richard.
  6. R

'The Hybrid Enemy' is a mystery thriller, part of the James Macrae Thriller Series. It is based on a family transportation business set in Birmingham. It's available on Amazon (free if you are a Kindle Unlimited member). If you enjoy thrillers, this could be a good book at bedtime.
  7. R

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Thanks Michael. I'll check it out.
  8. R

Cherry Orchard School

Hello John. Gosh I do remember you! What a crazy world we live in today to be able to hook up. Re Cherry Orchard, I believe Lee Childs the author of the Jack Reacher books ( real name James Grant) was two years behind us. He then went to King Edwards Grammar school. I just hope my new thriller...
  9. R

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Thanks Lyn. Trying to find my way around!
  10. R

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

That's a great photo! Thanks. Also reminds me of the car park opposite the Elbow Room. Does anyone remember Albert Chapman who worked there and later owned the club?
  11. R

Barton's Arms High Street Aston

I was just doing research on Birmingham (Barton Arms Pub in Aston and Gas Street Basin) for my new book and came across this History Forum. Had to join it and hopefully connect up with old friends. Born in Birmingham, I spent a lot of time at the Elbow Room in Aston and The Old Contemptibles in...
Back