• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Richard McNeill

1. R

Christ Church Perry Barr

This seems to suggest that Christ Church was still in use as a mission church up to 1939, where other sources, e.g.Victoria History of County of Warwick, Volume VII, suggest its license for public workshop expired in 1926.
  2. R

Birmingham buses

To answer my own question from a bit of googling it is clear that today the name 'cobalt blue' is is applied to a wide range of shades of blue between being darker than sky blue but lighter than navy blue. Today colour matching is done via Pantone or similar colour matching standards, where each...
  3. R

Birmingham buses

[ The trams were 'cobalt blue' and 'pale cream' (also called 'primrose)' according to PW Lawson's 'Birmingham Corporation Tramway Rolling Stock,' 1983 and, Mayou et.al's 'Birmingham Corporation Tramways: trams and trolley buses,' 1982. From the photographs I have seen the two main colours of...
  4. R

The Square Old Square

The street on the right is 'The Minories.' This is from 'Memorials of the Old Square....' by Joseph Hill and Robert Kirkup Dent (1897), together with John Rapkin's 'Plan of Birmingham,' (1851). Hill and Dent identified four 'angles' or blocks to Old Square: starting with the South Angle and...
  5. R

Mitchells & Butler Ltd

Does anyone know the year when Mitchells and Butlers adopted the slogan 'Good Honest Beer?'
  6. R

W Wort, photographer, Oscott

There are two photos in 'Birmingham Faces and Places, Volume II,' (published 1890), of Oscott college. They were credited to 'W Wort.' The list of photographers on the cardeviste website includes a 'William Wort.' See: https://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/photographers-category/photographers/ In...
  7. R

Kingstanding

Yes. In fact there are two infectious disease hospitals in the photograph. Both on College Road. One is at the corner of College Road and Hawthorn Road, where the Perry Common Library was to be built. This is on the left hand edge of the photo. The other is on the north side of College Road on...
  8. R

Kingstanding

The farm house stood at what is now the junction between Charlton Road and Dulwich Road.
  9. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Thanks. A copy of the drawing appears as an in-text illustration in RK Dent's (1894) 'Making of Birmingham' where it has the more vague title: 'Lower end of New Street, about 1800.'
  10. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Hi Vivienne. I can see this drawing was a full page illustration. Do you know which book it comes from?
  11. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Yes the name looks like 'Warner.' As a matter of interest what is the 1831 source? :)
  12. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The shop on the left appears to have 'Phillips' written above the door. This is No.89 High Street. In Robson's 1839 directory (10 years after the 1829 drawing), and in Kelly's 1845 directory, No.89 is occupied by Thomas Phillips' Wine and Spirits Merchants.
  13. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The Inn is behind the corner building. It is the Swan Hotel. The Swan was a terminus for coaches travelling between Birmingham and London. The coach we see post No.293 appears to be waiting outside the New Street entrance to the Swan. Here's a plan of the site in 1850, together with a drawing of...
  14. R

The Bell Inn - Lozells Road

No rush! We appreciate all you do. It is a very informative site. Thanks
  15. R

The Bell Inn - Lozells Road

Hi I found this this thread intriguing but unfortunately I cannot follow it as the link in the original post by www.midlandspubs.co.uk has failed and I cannot find any reference to The Bell Inn Lozells Road on the www.midlandspubs.co.uk website. The questions I have are 1) Who was the three time...