• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Reg Neal

1. R

Alston Road School Mr. Freemans Class

Is there anyone out there still breathing with the following names.....Charlie Stokes, Albon Buller. Dickie Pymm,Stan Green. Eric Grimmett, Lewis Fox,Eric Jackson,Arther Taylor,Alvin Spittle, Freddie Wild, Harry Jones, Norman Meridith, Ron Blakeman, Harvey Tombs, Alfie Robinson, Ray Gosling, All...
  2. R

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

Hi Stan, I knew Fred Dorrington quite well, shared a small workshop at Garrison Lane for about 5 years, he would eat a whole Spanish Onion every day, claiming the it prevented colds, smelled the shop out,but it seemed to work. He was awarde the MBE about 49/50, i was at the ceremony which was...
  3. R

Hi Len, I started at Fordrough Lane in August 1940, check No:1022. I attended the training classes as you did but did not go to Marlborough Rd. We did all our lessons at F/L, I still have my Tap Holder, made under the guidance of Jimmy West. I did that from the August until the big raids in...
  4. R

Hi Col h, Superb picture of the 3 Blocks. They were lettered B, A, and C, from the left. The Machine Shop occupied the ground floor of B Block and all the rest was Stores. The whole site was interconnected with tunnels for stores and Air Raid Shelters. One UXB fell between B & A Block. The...
  5. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geoff, Thanks for latest message on Forum, and thanks for the letter, it arrived about 15 hours after you posted it. Full marks for initiative.My apologies, all is well here and I sincerely trust it is at your end, especially your good lady. I am shortly sending a letter (through the post)...
  6. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff, apologies for delay...computer probs. So sorry to learn about your your Wife's health, I sincerely hope that you have receive some good news since your reply. I suppose that you walked down Belchers Lane to the Pelham to get the No:8 Tram, then go down past the Grand and the Rock...
  7. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hello Geff and thank you. Before leaving School, I visited Oozells Street, a School I think and sat an exam for the Post Office. My Mother , a Widow said it would be a safe job. I passed and later attended an interview at the P.O.Factory in Fordrough Lane. That started my working life as an...
  8. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff, sorry for the short delay and sorry to hear of your recent health misfortunes, trust you are feeling somewhat better.Another memory test for you.....You remember that we always had Assembly and morning prayers, well Mr. North,(Headmaster) had the thought of giving us boys a little...
  9. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff. Just think,70 years ago tonight we were in Hampton wondering what the hell was happening to our little schoolboy world. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards. Reg Neal.
  10. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff,Sorry for the delay, we have had visitors up from Marlborough Road Cas. Brom for about ten days.Now look here Geff, Norman and I shared a bedroom at No:75, twin beds of course and we shared a lot of cofidences, including the fact that he had a step mother who treated him rather badly, I...
  11. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hello Geff. Thanks for your latest. My word don't the memories come back with a rush.Yes we bought the house in Wyckham Road, Plot 40 it was from Walkers in Coleshill as you know. We paid for a few extras and the total bill was £1370. We had saved a bit so put down 20%, to keep the repayments...
  12. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff, nice to hear from you.have noted all the information, although I have to say that your memory is a bit off with regard to Norman Meridith. HE AND I BOARDED TOGETHER ,with a Mr & Mrs. Stanley at No:75, about 12 doors up from the Shop.We used to gather there after our Postal Orders...
  13. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hi Geff and all members of Mr. Freemans Class of 1939.I have been searching the old memory banks and have come up with a gold mine of memories,any of the following names ring a bell with any of you 83 year old boys. TEACHERS. Charlie Adams, Eric Page, Mr. Leek, Mr. Thomson, Mr.Butlher, Mr...
  14. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Hello Phil Carr. Thanks for reply.Yes, I remember the names you mention. I went to Evesham, Hampton actually, just out side the Town. I was there with Charlie Stokes whose Dad kept The Rising Sun pub in Dale End. I Boarded with Norman Meridith And like you I came home after about three weeks...
  15. R

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Alston Road School Have read all through the replies about the above. I went there from 1931 to August 1940 and left just in time for the Blitz. Does anyone remember "Troachy"? he was an old boy probably ex-service from WW1. He had a wicker basket trolley on wheels and was always at the corner...
Back