• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Reevesie

1. R

Marrian family

Hi Jo, I have an interest in the Marrian family and was wondering if you have had any help with your research phtography in Birmingham? My particular family member is James Lyon Marrian 1885–1917 Birth 6 JAN 1885 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Death 14 MAY 1917 • France and Flanders Son...
  2. R

Grove Junior School, Grove Lane, Handsworth 1901

Whilst researching family members who were school teachers found them on the 1901 census. 14 The Grove Head - Mary Richmond School Mistress (Elementary School) Age 33 Sister - Mabel Richmond Dressmaker Age 26 Sister - Henrietta Richmond School Teacher (Elementary School) Age 25 Sister -...
  3. R

The Sea Horse Inn, Buck Street

Can anyone give me a clue as to where Buck Street was? National Library of Scotland have all the Ordenance Survey maps but I have no idea where it was as I'm not a Brummie! Aston some where? Is there something that I can search for that would have been there in 1851 for reference? Thanks
  4. R

Ashted Brewery, Heneage Street

Aha… I've found him in my tree. He was in Gloucestershire Echo 29th May 1903. I, William Marrain, late of the Crown Hotel, Cheltenham give notice that I will not be responsible for any debt or debts contracted by my wife, Annie Marrian. Looks like he left Cheltenham in a hurry, Cheltenham...
  5. R

Aha… I've found him in my tree. He was in Gloucestershire Echo 29th May 1903. I, William Marrain, late of the Crown Hotel, Cheltenham give notice that I will not be responsible for any debt or debts contracted by my wife, Annie Marrian. Looks like he left Cheltenham in a hurry, Cheltenham...
  6. R

Thanks for all of the above, brilliant I need to get them in some sort of order! I have ordered a copy ‘Bygone Breweries of Sheffield’ off Amazon for more information on Thomas Marrian (1805-1883). I have found this photograph in book about ‘Lost Alleys of Tewkesbury’ The George Inn W. Marrian...
  7. R

Thanks for all of the above, brilliant I need to get them in some sort of order! I have ordered a copy ‘Bygone Breweries of Sheffield’ off Amazon for more information on Thomas Marrian (1805-1883). I have found this photograph in book about ‘Lost Alleys of Tewkesbury’ The George Inn W. Marrian...
  8. R

Thanks for clearing this up, I have been trying to work out what happened, found newspaper announcemnets of partnership dissolved 1840 and bankrupcy June 1843. It seems he went on to buy land in Thurcroft. Thurcroft Colliery The land on which the village would one day stand was bought in the...
  9. R

Extracts from the Marrian family tree https://www.marrian.org/ History and Pedigree of the Family of Marrian, formerly Depré, of Shropshire and Staffordshire (1957) The present-day branch of the family at Birmingham began in the year 1796, when FRANCIS MARRIAN (X. 5.) (whose...
  10. R

Extracts from the Marrian family tree https://www.marrian.org/ History and Pedigree of the Family of Marrian, formerly Depré, of Shropshire and Staffordshire (1957) The present-day branch of the family at Birmingham began in the year 1796, when FRANCIS MARRIAN (X. 5.) (whose...
  11. R

I don't have access to "The old Taverns of Birmingham" is it available online? Thanks Helen
  12. R

Thanks for posting the pictures and your research, I also have an interest in Marrian family history. My partner's Grandfather James Lyon Marrian is the Grandson of William Marrian (1797 -1851). Colin is teasing me the ownership of a photograph of William if he could post it would be most...
  13. R

Thanks for posting the pictures and your research, I also have an interest in Marrian family history. My partner's Grandfather James Lyon Marrian is the Grandson of William Marrian (1797 -1851). Colin is teasing me the ownership of a photograph of William if he could post it would be most...
Back