• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Reddi

1. R

Field Ambulance, Field Dressing Station

Pedrocut, many thanks for the info. It clears up a conversation I have been involved in with my older brother.
  2. R

Doctors

Hi Jennym, Mildred Coles (or Millie as she was known) was my wifes Fathers (Albert Coles) Sister. Unfortunately my wife, Margaret passed away in January this year, but at the interment of her ashes at our local church last week attended by Alberts two other children, Bryan & Susan, mention was...
  3. R

Gordon Street

That could explain why the name Payne did not register with me. I do however remember the Pointon's, Skinners, Newsome's and Shirley Hunt. In fact Alan Pointon taught me to tie a Windsor Knot in my tie when I was in my early teens, I thought I was the cats whiskers when I managed it successfully...
  4. R

Stuffed Whale.

I to remember seeing a whale on the back of a low loader being paraded around Birmingham. I think it was sometime during the 50s but could have been early 60s.
  5. R

Garrison Lane School

Unfortunately an error message is coming up telling me that the file could not be found
  6. R

City Centre Photographs

Following my contribution on the 1st August I have attached 3 more pics taken at the same time, 2 are of Colmore Row, looking toward the Town Hall and one looking along Colmore Row to Snow Hill. The third one was actually taken in Dale End. From all of the pics it is obvious that Electricity...
  7. R

City Centre Photographs

I am not sure whether these pics belongs in this thread but it does show the area around the Town Hall looking toward Victoria Square. The old photo was taken sometime around the early 1900s, perhaps even at the end of the 1800s I am not sure. The one thing I do know is that with the exception...
  8. R

Fardons Vinegar

Whilst working for Midlands Electricity Board I carried out some work in a substation at Fardons, the s/s was down below and it was very eerie, the factory was empty and clear of all machinery and equipment, the walls and floors were green, I imagine through the vinegar over the years staining...
  9. R

Bordesley Station

Going through my late Uncles photographs I came across some relating to his time on the Railways. These are 3 that clearly show some of those who I assume he worked with during the early 50s, the date on one of them being November 1951. Unfortunately I have no idea who the people are but perhaps...
  10. R

Bsa

Further to my query re. William Saragine, I have finally managed to track down the newspaper story that covered his award and lo and behold there is a picture of him. It was in the Evening Despatch, dated Monday 7th April 1941. The story covered the confusion he experienced when he discovered...
  11. R

Bolton Road, Small Heath

My Uncle & Aunt used to live in Bolton Road. Leonard Pickin and Joan Pickin (nee Sabin). I know that at the time of there marriage in 1950, Joan lived at 432 Bolton Rd. As a young boy (during the 50s) I used to go and visit them on a Sunday morning and walk down to the wall that overlooked the...
  12. R

Bsa

This is a long shot but I will give it a go. On April 8th 1941 a picture appeared in the Birmingham Gazette showing my wife's Uncle, William Saragine. For his actions during the night of Nov.19th 1940 he was awarded the British Empire Medal. William was her Fathers half Brother and served with...
  13. R

Birmingham Air Raids

Astonian, I would be very interested in the book. I believe that my wife's Uncle is mentioned in it, his name was William Saragine who was in the home Guard and awarded the British Empire Medal for his actions during the air raid on the BSA. Reddi
  14. R

Gordon Street

Does anyone have photographs of the area around and including Gordon Street/Artillery Street. I am putting together a Family album for our Grandchildren and really would like to include these within it.
  15. R

Bsa Factory In Blitz

Astonian/Bewdley Many thanks for the information, it gives a little more detail to the family tree. With regards to Williams Mother, Florence Kate, she subsequently married my wife's Grandfather (Luigi having died in 1915) going onto have children by him, including my Wife's Father. As I said...
Back