• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ray Griffiths

1. Ray Griffiths

Lozells

Is Hardings bakery
  2. Ray Griffiths

Halfords Fire

Halfords Fire was 12th March 1955 it burnt for 7days. A cleaner walking past the roller doors to the loading bay noticed smoke coming from under the door and alerted the fire brigade. Fire serviice on arrival manage to get roller door opened which allowed air to shoot up lift shaft which was the...
  3. Ray Griffiths

Lest We Forget

I thought you might like to see my daughter’s artwork and verse.
  4. Ray Griffiths

GEC WITTON WORKS

It’s not surprising that little is been heard from ex GEC workers I started in 1953 as apprentice fitter in the Big shop I’m 85. When I look back most of the staff was coming up to retirement, most of the staff had worked as reserved trade during the war years. I left 1963 with a number of ex...
  5. Ray Griffiths

Hams Hall Power Station.

It would be B stn the completion of the second half built after the war I’ll see if I can find out any more info for you
  6. Ray Griffiths

Hams Hall Power Station.

Sorry Dav I’ve just noticed the date if this constructed it would been the thr completion of B stn or for the proposed build of C stn in the early 50s I have some details of both stations but no mention of a lift in chimneys
  7. Ray Griffiths

Hams Hall Power Station.

Hi Dav I worked on all three power stations atHams Hall and never heard of the feature, I only worked in the Turbine Halls on the turbines. Have a date for this article
  8. Ray Griffiths

Its Ray Griffiths birhday !

Many thanks for good wishes 85 not out
  9. Ray Griffiths

Saturday jobs

I used to in Cramlington Road 1963 to 1978 lived at 167 used to go to Fish and chip shop how it’s changed. We left after having the wheels on car stolen a six week old new Cortina got up on May 1st to find my on bricks.Police come took details said they had just been to another victim they found...
  10. Ray Griffiths

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Sorry Tony I miss understood I thought it was one your children.I moved Devon 17 years ago from Dower Rd Ray
  11. Ray Griffiths

HI I got to know your dad at Sutton Coldfield PS NW, Crime Panel, Victim Support. We Both shared and interest in Birmingham Aston Area and trams of which he visited my uncle with he made a CD of uncles memories working on the Birmingham trams all his life. We also had an interest in Where your...
  12. Ray Griffiths

Would this be Inspector Tony Schucks Father he was an Inspector at D Div Sutton Coldfield PS
  13. Ray Griffiths

Kingsthorne Cranbourne Rd School

Remember it in the late 40s having walk from Birdbrook Rd up Dyas Rd. which at that time hadn’t been built it was a track with the sandpits. The worst 1947 winter those toilets was wicked but the classrooms made up for it. The bottles of milk we had the top was forced off with the frost it was...
Back