• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by ray c

1. R

Baines the Bakers

Hope my post reaches you Kelly, below. Ray cope
  2. R

Baines the Bakers

Hello Kelly, I wonder if your grandad or great grandad,s name was Thomas Henry, Baines. As i have since found out thanks to a poster on this group called Ianmonger. Thomas had a Bakery in Alum Rock, Saltley in the 1920s. He was a member of a club in Ward End called Maitland Hall around that...
  3. R

Baines the Bakers

Thank you very much Richard for your reply. If at all possible, could you/would you do any research into Thomas Henry Baines family, The reason I ask Is, he Presented A Trophy to the Crown Green Bowling section of the Conservative Club in 1928. The Cup was played for every year since, which then...
  4. R

Baines the Bakers

Hello Ianmonger. I hope this post reaches you. You mentioned T.H. Baines A bakery shop/bakers in Langton Rd Alum Rock. Would you know anything about T.H. Baines, his family or anyone who might have any information about him or his relatives,? I do know he was a member of a club on the...
  5. R

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hello Will, post 534, so glad to here that, and you have confirmed the news about Reg. I worked with Reg at Parsons Peebles, (GEC) and we went working away at a few Power stations in the early 70s. I honestly cannot remember when I heard the news about him, (obviously wrong) It was such a long...
  6. R

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hello Ray i posted a few years ago, page 22, just picked your post up about Reg Marlow, i know he died quite a few years ago, don,t know exactly when but it is a least 25 years ago. He died very young. as for moving to lincolnshire i don,t know. He lived in the Kingstanding area around Dyass...
  7. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

P.S. just Google ,B.Ham grand prix, follow links.
  8. R

Hi Bullring Boy , there was a B.ham Grand Prix race held in 1986, it ran for 5 years. Lots of info on the Wikipedia pages, to much info for this poster to copy! The opposite lock was open in the mid 60s. I think it is still open now, well it was 3, 4 years back as a jazz venue.
  9. R

Thanks for the reminder guys, glad you knew where i went. Always kept me bus fare (night service) in one pocket of me coat, and in the top pocket was a ten bob note, at the end of the night, most nights anyway, i walked to The Rum Runner and had a bet on the roulette wheel. (Well 10 Bob was a...
  10. R

Clubs I remember in the 60s, Monday nights, the West End, Tuesday, was the Locarno upstairs, help, what was the club called, you had to be over 18 with an id card to get in!! Wednesday was The Moat House, we were really grown up when we went there, Friday was the Locarno, upstairs or the big...
  11. R

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Hi my name is Ray Cope found this site about 12 months ago, I attended BRSM from 1957 to 1961, classes were 1/3, 2/2, 3/2, 4/3. main teacher through the years was MR. Williams ,I got on well with him over the years, mainly I think because I was good at most things to do with sport. He was a...
  12. R

GEC WITTON WORKS

help, can anyone tell me what has happened to the 2016 posts please?. MICK BOND, DAVE KEITH, are you still posting memories? do you know what became of COLIN WEBB, despatch bench, L.R.P.D. or was he carried away when they knocked the building down!. Went to TONY SIMPSON'S funeral in February...
  13. R

Old street pics..

hi lyn, thanks for the welcome, i cannot believe we were neighbours! very sorry havent got any pics of villa st. it was a camera or a bike for my birthday, in those days a bike was first choice. we were at the tavern from nov. 1957 till oct. 1959, i believe it did not open after we left, the...
  14. R

Old street pics..

hi lyn, thanks for the welcome, i cannot believe we were neighbours! very sorry havent got any pics of villa st. it was a camera or a bike for my birthday, in those days a bike was first choice. we were at the tavern from nov. 1957 till oct. 1959, i believe it did not open after we left, the...
Back