• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by radleys

1. R

Sheldon

Thanks for your comment Stars. I didn't think it was worth posting this one because of the limited view and terrible quality- The photo was behind glass! But here goes anyway. Anyone need a well made wheelbarrow? No plastic to be seen anywhere!
  2. R

Sheldon

Another photo of the Radleys in the 50s. This is the row that now has the second hand shop, barber, pet shop as well as Stanley James. Sorry about the quality- it's another 'photo of a photo'. As I said in my previous post, I was given permission from the owner of the photos to post them on the...
  3. R

Sheldon

Here's the other side of the photo- couldn't fit it onto one picture on my phone!!!
  4. R

Sheldon

Hi folks, I visited the 'Stanley James' hardware shop in Sheldon recently, and they had a small display of photos of the shop from years gone by. One of them was an old picture of the Radleys Shopping Centre. I was kindly given permission to post it on this site, so here it is. I had to take a...
  5. R

Crossroads programme

Chris Tarrant told an anecdote about Crossroads on the ATV DVD's from MACE- he said that during one scene being filmed, Amy Turtle was hoovering very loudly while the main actors were delivering their lines- making so much noise that they couldn't be heard. The director asked her why she was...
  6. R

Stechford Area

Hi all, I've just been looking on a website about old Yardley which states that (and I quote) "Stechford Station (note Stech not Stich - a railway mis-spelling ?) opened in '44 : the level crossing was replaced by a ramp and overbridge 21 years later." (From a local history leaflet on Yardley...
  7. R

Stechford Area

Hi, You could well be right Dave, but I have a memory of a neighbour telling me that the original London to Birmingham track was built in the 1860s, and the original station road had a set of gates (presumably before the bridge). From what I remember, he called it 'Yardley Gates'??? Maybe he was...
  8. R

Stechford Area

Hi all, I lived (very briefly) in the stationmaster's house back in the 80s- I remember there was a mechanism in the cupboard in the living room which presumably would have originally been attached to the bell on the original railway gate before the bridge was built. I also remember the remnants...
  9. R

Sheldon shops

I remember Holland's the Newsagent on the Comberton Road- Not the friendliest couple if memory serves me right. I remember having my change thrown onto the counter more than once. I seem to remember the man (Mr. Holland???) been quite thin and his wife being the exact opposite if you know what I...
  10. R

TV Advertising Jingles (1950s-1960s).

Anyone remember the Esso blue paraffin adverts from the 60s and 70s? "Boom Boom Boom Boom, Esso Blue!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRbmfLVoWo I seem to remember them being shown on Sunday afternoons (during the winter of course), with the 'Davenports Beer at Home' and West Midland's...
  11. R

The Spitfire

Hi Bernie D'Boult, I tried to follow your 'motto of the week' ie search before posting, but this facility doesn't seem to work- I keep getting 'image verification error', or 'internal database error. If I'd realised it had been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I wouldn't have replied. And yes...
  12. R

The Spitfire

Hi Jennyann, Yes, I lived on Castle Vale in the late 80s, and it was rumoured that there were Spitfire engines (crated up and coated in grease) buried somewhere- the place I seem to remember being mentioned was somewhere on the fields by Farnborough Road. I'm not even sure if these fields...
  13. R

Sheldon shops

Yes Stars..I have vague memories of going to her as a very young child...from what I remember, she seemed really brusque and really scared me. I think the surgery closed, and we registered with Dr. Rodriguez on Garretts Green Lane. He had his surgery as part of his home, and he seemed a lot more...
  14. R

Sheldon shops

That's right Nick, I remember now that Woodruff's was on Cranes Park Road. Robert, I also seem to remember the Newsagent on the junction of Church Road and Common Lane- I used to call in for sweets on the way to school. I think it was called 'Fred's'? - although I may be completely wrong!
  15. R

From ATVLand In Colour

Thanks Rob and Viv- listening to the Star Soccer theme really brought back some memories of happy Sunday afternoons, rushing Sunday dinner to get in to watch the football. From what I remember, a typical Sunday Viewing would be 'Weekend World' at about midday (ish), followed by 'The Invaders'...
Back