• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Pongo

1. Pongo

Moor Lane by Witton Cemetery

Mike… was it not Jimmy Dugdale, as I've read that he became a publican in Witton in 1963? Just found out that Jimmy Logan had the pub from 1939-1950 and played for The Villa from 1905-1912. Regards, Dean.
  2. Pongo

Thanks Mike, that's useful info as I'm researching my grandfather's life and was trying to find out who else had the pub and also, what year did it change name from The Witton Hotel to The Safe Harbour. I think it's around 1969, but am not sure. I know that Joe worked for Ansells and that it was...
  3. Pongo

Hi. Do you remember who the landlord was when you were there on coronation day? My grandfather (former Villa player Joe Beresford) ran the pub in the early 50s. Here's a pic of him and his wife Ivy flanked by two members of staff in the pub (then called The Witton Hotel). It was an Ansells...
  4. Pongo

Joe Beresford. Aston Villa - Club Houses/lodgings

Dean Beresford here, grandson of 1920s/30s Villa player Joe. I'm researching Joe's life/career and am looking for details on where he lived when he first arrived in Aston. I believe he was first put in lodgings by the club at 66 Witton Lane (May 1927) and I think Eric Houghton also lodged here...
  5. Pongo

Villa Memories Tom 'Pongo' Waring

He married Frank Barson's daughter!
  6. Pongo

Aston Villa Groundsmen 1932ish

Kathryn, it's Dean Beresford here, grandson of Joe Beresford who played for The Villa from 1927 - 1935. I have been in touch before with regards possibly having a photo with your great grandad on. I don't think I have one. However have a look at the facebook page that I have created in...
  7. Pongo

Villa memories no 26 Billy Walker 'Knock knees'

Hi. My name is Dean Beresford and am the grandson of Villa great Joe Beresford who was team-mate/good-mate of Billy Walker. I've created a facebook page in tribute to Joe and if you follow this link it will take you directly to photos of Billy from my grandad's collection...
  8. Pongo

Villa Memories Tom 'Pongo' Waring

Hi. My name is Dean Beresford and am the grandson of Villa great Joe Beresford who was team-mate/good-mate of Pongo. I've created a facebook page in tribute to Joe and if you follow this link it will take you directly to a couple of photos of Pongo Waring from my grandad's collection...
  9. Pongo

Winkie Speirs (Aston Villa)

Hi Peter. Not sure if this link will work (and I think you probably need to be signed-up to facebook) but have a look at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=187018208017502&set=a.187018118017511.59803.186878374698152&type=1&theater My grandfather was Joe Beresford who played for The...
  10. Pongo

Aston Villa Groundsmen 1932ish

Hi Kathryn My grandfather was Joe Beresford who played for the Villa from 1927-1934. I have a fantastic scrapbook/photo album that Joe's father-in-law made of his career (ironically Joe's father-in-law had initially forbid any of his daughters 'getting involved' with any Villa players...
Back