• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by pmcdermott

1. P

Balsall Heath.

i remember trippas's bakery, my mother worked there .her name was violet, and brian murtagh lived at the back of the shop that was located on sherlock st. mr trippass taught my mother to drive in his jag so she could do the deliveries. i remember a few people from sherlock st and hope street...
  2. P

Spring Lane Erdington

thanks for the info,my parents address was listed as 9 spring lane camp site, i can only assume they had hit on hard times in 1948.
  3. P

Erdington

do you still have a copy of that picture? my parents where living in those huts in 1948 when i was born,and i am trying to find out about them. i would be most grateful for any lnfo. thanks. pete.
  4. P

Old gun battery site’s around Birmingham & nearby

i have just applied for a full birth certificate for a passport application , and my parents address was listed as 9,spring lane campsite. I date back to 1948. can anyone tell me anything about this site at that time.i would be most grateful, thank you.
  5. P

Balsall Heath.

i am not on facebook, i will have sign up,i would love to see some of the old faces from hope street school;it's been a long time,it would nice to get danny & peter meeson on the forum, kenny is still computer shy but i am slowly talking him round to getting one,he's got lots of memories of...
  6. P

Balsall Heath.

i think it was a cream colour above the almost burgundy colour, ken & johnny lived opposite the phone box in the picture.
  7. P

Balsall Heath.

great photo's Liz,i'd forgotten all about the alhambra on moseley rd,went there a few times in the early 60's
  8. P

Lewis's Department Store

wasn't that at the back of the co op building ?
  9. P

Kingston Hill Park

yes i remember kingston hill park, i lived on st andrews rd near mona rd and we used to play footie on the patch ,and cycle round the perimeter on like a cinder track; also spent hours sitting in the sun listening to radio luxembourg,on my days off that is.
  10. P

Wright's Rope Works

wasn't there once a rope factory in the watery lane area? down near lawley st goods depot, i think rope manufacturers used to measure their ropes in areas known as chain walks,not sure but i seem to remember reading that somewhere.
  11. P

Big spanner

nice one, i still don't recognise him, terrible thing memory it fades with age,all i could remember was his name.
  12. P

Big spanner

i really can't remember what he looked like, he just stuck in my mind because was a bit of a comedian and very loud . ithink he was late twenties or early thirties,it was a long time ago wasn't it; they where good times though.
  13. P

Big spanner

i worked on the gate at the st andrews rd end when they made that film, do you remember the nights in the club after filming each night, and do you remember the d.j that called himself barmy barry?; thre where some good nights there.
  14. P

Spring Hill roller rink

Re: spring hill rollar rink thanks for that, it brings back a lot of memories. i thought it was only a rumour about the kids trying to saw through the pole,glad they did'nt suceed.
  15. P

First person in Birmingham to own a Rolls Royce, or a Ferrari?

i think h,samuels the jewellers used to have a rolls royce van that had a wooden framework like the morris traveller in the mid fifties
Back