• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by pistonvalve

1. pistonvalve

Tamworth field trainspotting

Great photo's, brings back memories and the cry " peg on the main" - "clangers" Mike.
  2. pistonvalve

I don't remember the new style 'clangers' shown in the photo, must have been replaced after my last visit. Mike.
  3. pistonvalve

Lucky you Vic, I never saw a Scottish semi running past the sacred field during the many times visited. Mike.
  4. pistonvalve

HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

Why can't we build HS2 rolling stock? Several members of my family worked at the 'Met' Saltley. We used to build rolling stock for the world, what has happened to us!!
  5. pistonvalve

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

Surely HS2 has to be track connected to the network somewhere in the area for maintenance purposes.
  6. pistonvalve

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

Those viaducts may become useful if we ever get HS2 as a link to Proof House Junction. Hope so.
  7. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Never heard of jube called Campala but there is one called camperdown froms memory. Used to come through grassy banks often Mike
  8. pistonvalve

aston sheds

9. pistonvalve

aston sheds

I also remember a Clan on the 5pm Glasgow Birmingham 72004 Clan Mcdonald from 66A, a rare cop for me Mike
  10. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Ah!! It was the only time us New St spotters saw Eastern Region (30A - 32A) Brits on the Glasgow - Xworks from Crewe Mike.
  11. pistonvalve

aston sheds

For a brief period (mid 60's) Aston shed (then 21**) stabled the A3's working the Sutton coldfield - Stirling motor-rail turn. Aston spotters were able to see loco's from all regions, but by then the southern loco's were on the way to the breakers yard in the Walsall area. I have seen at...
  12. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Blackies! Saw two double-heading the 'Glasgow' in immaculate lined black obviously Xworks from Carnforth shed (10A). They were on the train for a week - wish I had the numbers today! they will be on record somewhere (late 50's) Mike.
  13. pistonvalve

aston sheds

Not Timbo, but I think the working you refer to was the Glasgow-Birmingham terminating at New St. It was a Crewe 'running-in turn' and always had an Xworks loco. I have seen scots, jubes, brits and clans on at New St and stabled at shed 3D. What wounderful times in the 50's Mike.
  14. pistonvalve

aston sheds

I don't remember 58182, along with 58167 (Saltley nuisance) they are film stars on a special from Stourbridge to Longbridge will try and find the YouTube link. Not sure if 58182 was at 3D in my train spotting time, but do remember 42947 (grassy Banks nuisance) up and down the branch like a...
  15. pistonvalve

A Certain Train Of Thought

Just read this post on the Locomotive City of Birmingham 46235. I remember seeing this engine in the 60's at the old science museum, I believe in order but without tender? I wonder if there is any possibility of bringing this loco back to life fully working! It seems to me such a pity...
Back