• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Phyllis1957

1. P

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Yes, I remember the bomb scare and being evacuated via an exit at the back of the rink under the bar. I used to go from 1972 to 1980, the only nights I did not go were Tuesdays & Thursdays (family sessions) I practically lived there, even went to Samantha's nightclub Friday & Saturday after skating.
  2. P

Alum Rock Road Shops

The fishing tackle shop was called Chaplin's and only disappeared in the last 5 years. Got my secondary school uniform from Griffiths & Fullards, my mom paid for it with a provident check. On the corner of Alum Rock Rd/Woodwells Rd (I think) was Foster Bros.
  3. P

Boars Head Stechford

I think you mean the Bulls Head on Station Road, just on the bend by the little bridge walkway over the river cole heading towards the swimming baths on the no 11 bus. It changed its name to the Manor House but sadly now has been bulldozed.
  4. P

Parisian Club Cannon Street

Just reading this thread. I remember that bloke who looked like the lead singer in the beegees, guess what, he still looks like him. I have seen him a few times around Ward End, Fox & Goose area, I can't believe he still has the same hairstyle and beard etc as in the 70's.
  5. P

Edwards No. 8

Yes, the one up the side street used to be Rebeccas in the 1970's, I was a regular there. It had 3 floors, I think the cellar was called the 'sinbin' the middle floor was where the live groups used to play and the top floor I think was more soul and chart music if my memory serves me right.
  6. P

Where did you live

Weston Street Nechells, The Pelham Alum Rock, Ward End, now Hodge Hill.
Back