• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by philbee

1. P

Antique gun shop Pershore road

hi just seen this post not sure it is any use to your request, but there is a building just of the pershore road behind a green grocers and opposite wickes it has always facinated me the sign on the building says "JESSE HILL GUNMAKERS" it looks like an old workshop,be interesting if there was...
  2. P

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

i have just come back on the forum after being of for a few years and came across your post reguarding Baldys Mansion on kingshurst i never knew it as that i knew it as old wallys farm, it was in fact owned by Walter Townsend who lived there by himself and his jack russell dogs who used to...
  3. P

Birmingham City Council - Archives Section?

Just a bit on the new library a few months ago now i went to the library to look for some photos of nechells i was let into "fort knox" without an appointment i might add and i was helped to find the records which were brought out to me to so that i could search for the photos i found 6 photos...
  4. P

The Bowling Green At St Bernard's Grange, Sheldon

gerald is the pub still there i used to live on kingshurst and frequented castle brom in my youth but cant visualize the pub. phil
  5. P

The Bowling Green At St Bernard's Grange, Sheldon

where was the comet?
  6. P

Wright's Rope Works

Is this firm the Johnnie Wrights that had a playing field on long acre nechells that we used to play on?
  7. P

Police Horses

Eddie Great photo makes you feel proud to be a brummie i wonder if these officers were ex cavalry as they all seem to have campaign medals or were they awarded for service one wonders ! Phil
  8. P

can't read text on google chrome

Just to let you know i cleared all my internet browsing as suggested by windows help and it all seems fine, it was only this site that was affected . Thank you all that replied to my post. Phil
  9. P

can't read text on google chrome

Anybody having problems reading text on the website using google chrome photos are fine but no text it has been fine up until a few days ago, if i use internet explorer or as i am now using mozilla every thing is fine i have tried logging in and out but to no avail. Phil
  10. P

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

I think all the people that see bad in estates see bad in all estates , my family moved to the kingshurst estate in the late fifties just as the estate was being built it was a great place to grow up in having come from back to back housing in nechells i remember playing in the "bluebell" wood...
  11. P

The Square Old Square

Thanks nick That was the name of the street it seemed very narrow! Phil
  12. P

The Square Old Square

Afternoon Lyn looking at the photo i don't remember the air raid shelters as i was only a twinkle in our dads eye! born 1948 but looking at the photo where that truck is coming out that road was very narrow and it used to scare the living daylights out of my sister as there was loads of big...
  13. P

High Park street Nechells

Mike Thank you for prompt reply i am a bit puzzled by the year 1965 that can't be when newtons was built because i remember as a child newtons being there in the 50s and i started work there in 63/64 i know that you have not stated that was when it was built but it is intrigueing that there is...
  14. P

High Park street Nechells

Evening all Its along time since i have posted but i am back and i am after any info on my favourite street HighPark street i have included two attachments of said street what i would like to know would anyone have a detailed map that includes house numbers so that i could pin point where my...
  15. P

Crawford street Saltley

Thanks for the info mike the amount of families living in that area was astounding my uncle and his family lived in clayton road which was the other side of saltley viaduct , when we used to visit him when i was a child it was a short row of houses but when i look at the maps of the area it was...
Back