• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Phil Gundy

1. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I found a couple. One with modern graffiti, the other looking downhill from it.
  2. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I used to cycle up that hill on my fixed wheel bike. Nearly made it to the top on a couple of occasions.
  3. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I remember as a child passing it on the bus and mom pointing it out and telling me that it was a Territorial place
  4. P

Halloween

We never bothered much about halloween as children as there was no trick or treating and we were far too excited about bonfire night. We occasionally went to a halloween party, which was just a regular party with messier activities such as bobbing for apples, but never dressed up. The only...
  5. P

Saltley College

Hi. Interestingly my dad was a pupil at the school run by St Peter's before the war and then I went to the college to train to be a teacher in the 70's
  6. P

Gone out of fashion

I used to live near Cannon Hill Park and could never go there without someone saying that they missed the Tulip Festival. I can remember it like yesterday, of course
  7. P

Gone out of fashion

Dad made his own ginger beer for years. The shop bought ginger beer for children was in little brown bottles
  8. P

Gone out of fashion

Ours was hanging on the fence outside our kitchen door until we had a bathroom built when I was 10 or 11 yrs old. They knocked the outside toilet and coal store down to build the bathroom off the kitchen.
  9. P

Saltley College

At least I was fit when I had a classroom only accessible by going down one flight of stairs then up two
  10. P

Nansen Road School

I remember a trip to the zoo, and that I was almost sick with excitement as I walked to school. We had a long walk to and from school as we were then living by the Gate Saltley, having moved there from near the school. I used to go home for lunch so the walks kept us fit. Mind you, I often used...
  11. P

Nansen Road School

I went to Marsh Hill Boy's together with one other boy from my class. Others I knew went to Saltley Grammar and Mosely Art School. Some of my closest friends went to Washwood Heath Secondary, and I managed to keep in touch with them through our secondary school years.
  12. P

Nansen Road School

Hi. I was in the junior school until '63. Miss Bunker took us for country dancing and 'encouraged' us, with the odd thump in the back, to keep in step as we went past her. Mr Sheen was a bit scary too, but my favourite teacher was Miss Wilde. I was in her class for the two years before I left to...
  13. P

Bicycle manufacturers in Birmingham

My father worked there just after the war when he was demobbed. He studied welding and moved on to Birwelco which was nearby
  14. P

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I was in the '63 entry. On leaving and saying I that was going to teacher training college, I too was told not to come back, and not to choose the school for my teaching practice.
  15. P

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I remember seeing it being built in the prep room between the two physics labs
Back