• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Peter Walker

1. P

Re: Peter walker archives

Re: Birmingham steam trams Re: Birmingham's steam trams — Old Square to Witton and Gravelly Hill According to the 1890 OS map there was originally a reversing triangle at the Old Square (see map 4.1), but a turning loop was installed, probably when the terminus was shared with routes operated...
  2. P

Re: Birmingham steam trams — Birmingham’s steam trams — a brief description The principles of steam tramcar design were well established by the time they finally came to Birmingham, and a range of rolling stock was available from various builders. While railcars were being used abroad, in...
  3. P

Re: Birmingham steam trams Re: Birmingham's steam trams — The Birmingham and Aston Tramways The attached Map 3.1 shows the Birmingham steam tramway network at its peak in 1904. The first steam tramway in the Birmingham area was opened in 1882 by an independent local group, the Birmingham &...
  4. P

Re: Birmingham steam trams Re: The Story of Midland Red The origins 1731 – 1870: Early stage coach and horse bus services The first commercial stage carriage service to Birmingham was advertised as early as 1731 from London via Warwick, Banbury and Aylesbury. The coming of the canals in 1769...
  5. P

Birmingham steam trams Birmingham's steam trams 1 — Origin of the steam tram For over twenty years, Birmingham played surprisingly little part in its development — a brief two-part story that follows this general introduction. The advantage of propelling a vehicle on smooth tracks of...
  6. P

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Thanks so much for that photo. Mrs T. My, how the place has changed, and all those trees have grown a lot in 70 years. Peter
  7. P

Birmingham Steam Buses 1824-1910.

Just seen the Guy 'Transport through the Szygies' ad (always thought that was a mountain range in Hungary) and recognised the first pic bottom left as a localo one. I first saw it on the back cover (I think) of a 'Modern Transport', on which I spent my pocket money in about 1945. The photo by...
  8. P

School Milk

Trying to remember who supplied school milk - it certainly varied between schools. All the bottles were 1/3 pint size, I think Dulwich Road infants and Hawthorn Road Junior Boys took Midland Counties, and Aston Grammar took Co-op, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember that All Saints' Infants...
  9. P

Birmingham's steam trams

Thylacine, Thank you for that picture, which is a new one to me. But it is very, very similar to the attached photo below, of B&MT engine 25 and single-ended trailer 25, waiting outside the Windmill Lane coke yard. This is taken from J S Webb's "Black Country Tramways". The location is clearly...
  10. P

What a small world we live in! Twenty years ago I researched the history of the Handel festivals at the Crystal Palace, London, and became familiar with the name John Scott Russell. He was a member of the Royal Commission of the original Crystal Palace in Hyde Park, and later became a director...
  11. P

It's always nice to see this lively discussion. Thanks for all the contributions. Meanwhile I have done some delving and produced a lengthy piece on steam tram history. Hope you find it interesting. Peter
  12. P

Birmingham's steam trams

Part 10 — The end of the steam trams Another event affecting the future of the steam trams was the setting up in 1896 of the British Electric Traction Company to acquire bus and tram systems and — with the agreement of the local authority — replace them by an electric tramway operated by a...
  13. P

Birmingham's steam trams

Part 9 — To Witton Road, Kings Heath, and Sparkbrook and Villa Cross In about late 1886 two minor sections of steam tramway were added, which had little strategic importance. Since 1882 the Birmingham and Aston Tramways had powers to build lines in Wheeler Street and Witton Road to permit a...
  14. P

Birmingham's steam trams

Part 8 — To Small Heath and Balsall Heath In early 1886 the Birmingham Central Tramways Company opened a route from to Small Heath via Deritend and Coventry Road. The terminus was at Dora Road, some way past the coke yard illustrated in the photo (8.1), opposite the main entrance to Small...
  15. P

Birmingham's steam trams

Part 7 — City extensions and to Dudley Also in 1885, the Moseley route was extended at the city endvia Bromsgrove Street to Hurst Street and John Bright Street, with a sharp turn into Hill Street. The map already attached (6.1) shows the development of the layout in detail, while the OS map...
Back