• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by pete sword

1. P

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

Thank you Norfolk brummie, for the information on the 'memorial hall'. May I ask what you know about the Lilley family. I think they must have gone by my time, mainly the 50's and early 60's. That they occupied such a splendid building suggests they must of been of 'some consequence' as they...
  2. P

Sutton Train Crash

I am sitting in the HQ of 1st Sutton Coldfield Sea Scouts looking at a collage of the Rail Crash. There is an article with picture from the Evening Despatch dated January 24 1955, and a further article dated December 9 1955 in which Mrs Keith Thompson presents a bible to the group as a thank you...
  3. P

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

That would make sense, as Yardley parish was in Worcestershire originally. The school badge encompassed three pears as part of the badge referring to its 'Worcestershire' connections. When I was at the school we used to go swimming at Sparkhill baths. Next door to that was Sparkhill Library, the...
  4. P

The Valley pub, Billesley

Yes, the clinic was there. It still is, but the sign now says The Warstock Centre. Couldn't see in the dark as I passed what it was being used for. The allotments next door have gone, replaced by housing. Looks like sheltered or retirement housing.
  5. P

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Just came across this thread. Coincidence, have long thought myself about making a record of bygone schools and their uniforms and badges. Maybe a very brief history of each. Will have to wait till I retire (if ever). It was prompted by noting how some schools I know have changed their school...
  6. P

Ironmongers

York Road Supplies Kings Heath still offers a decent service. Still serves paraffin from a pump, and a man what knows exactly where the thing you want is.
  7. P

Never did go to the Tudor for some reason. It became a Bingo hall for a while. Knocked down now and replaced with retirement homes along with the Dairy, and later still, the British Legion. The clinic in Warstock Lane is, I think, still there, but not sure what it's being used for now. Will...
  8. P

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the...
  9. P

Sutton Train Crash

I am a leader with a Sea Scout Group in Sutton Park. We have a bible which was given to us by the wife of someone involved in the disaster. One of our older leaders has recently given a talk on the event to a Probus meeting. I will endeavour to get more detailed information on the Sea Scout's...
  10. P

I remember the one at the extreme left as being the 'Popin' a sweet shop, and round the corner in Brigfield Road two lock up shops, one was Audreys chip shop, the other a general store I think. In my time it wasn't the 13 or 13a that came down to haunch lane, only the 24, and of course the 18...
  11. P

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

I lived at 95 Dolobran Road, and was christened at Christ Church, though I am sad to say I was not a regular attender. My sister Barbara was married there. Sad it has gone. Last remaining piece of what used to be a beautiful crossroads with the Church, Farm Park, and the memorial hall on three...
Back