• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Petal

1. P

Station Pub in Sutton Coldfield.

Hi All, Does anybody know when the Station pub in Sutton Coldfield (Station street) was built? The railway station was completed in 1862, so I am presuming that it was built alongside it? Does anyone have any information on the history of the pub, or can direct me to a source? I did a quick...
  2. P

Irving Street

Hi there, I am doing some family history research and one member lived in Irving Street in 1861, I just wondered if anyone knew what kind of housing was on the street at the time? Was this back to back houses or Victorian terraces, would people have worked and lived on the street in cottage...
  3. P

Great barr hall

Hi Dave, I am looking to write a feature on Great Barr Hall for a heritage blog (Birmingham Conversation Trust). I have been looking to visit the site, but I have heard it is now really hard to get close to the Hall with security and trespassing etc.. I wondered if you would give me your...
  4. P

Newman's Coffin Works Tours

Hi Bernie, It is indeed only one tour per evening with a maximum of 12 people per evening (due to health and safety). The tour lasts approximately one hour. There is only a total of 96 places available during the two weeks the tours are running and this is the last chance to have a tour...
  5. P

Newman's Coffin Works Tours

Please see latest post as more tours have been released. Hi All, I am a volunteer for the Birmingham Conservation Trust and I thought that users of this forum may be interested in a very special heritage event that the Trust is running later this month. For the first time this October (26...
  6. P

Enos Edwards - Engineer of Birmingham Fire Office 1805 / the Bull Ring Riot 1839

Hi I have several generations of ancestors that worked as fireman for the Birmingham Fire Office 1805-67 in Union Passage. Although there is lots of information on the later fire service i,e from 1870’s and the Tozer family, I wondered if anyone new of where I could start to find information...
  7. P

Pheasey Estate changes in roads from 1940's to present.

I live on the pheasey estate and came across the thread US Base Pheasey Estate as I am interested in the history of the area. I viewed the old map of the area form the 40's (Post by guest Nov 28th 2006 - map below) and noticed that some of the road have been changed. Compared with the modern...
  8. P

1928 Wedding Edith and Horace Turville

Hi Bernard, I just spotted this picture of Horace Turville's wedding. My great grandmother is Clara Turville, and I believe from my existing research on the Turville family that Horace's (b 1905) parents are Albert Turville (1874) and Blanche Bayliss. Clara and Albert were siblings, and...
  9. P

Help looking for Alfred John Whetton

I am looking for further info on the parents/early life of Alfred John Whetton b: Birmingham 1846. The surname is proving to be a problem as it keeps changing on different documents (not mis transcribed just a completely different name), it should definately be WHETTON. The info I do know is...
  10. P

Lucas employees - looking for info

Thanks Mike, that's very interesting, I was told they always lived in Poplar terrace off Charles Arthur Street. Thanks for the info.
  11. P

Thanks for the replies everyone. Len, Arthur is my grandfather and as he died very young and my grandmother remarried so I know very little about him. However, this is what I do know: b: around Oct 1911 Aston D: 25th August 1946 Parents: Athur Edwards (snr), and Gertrude Annie (nee...
  12. P

I am looking for any further information on Arthur Edwards b Aston 1911 d August 1946 aged 35. He worked at the Lucas Lamp Works (not sure where or what site this is) until his untimely death at the age of 35. He was seen as vital to the factory during WW2 so they got special permission to...
  13. P

Conflicting Birth locations on 1891 and 1911 Census

Hi Susanne, Thanks again Susanne ( you helped me a couple of weeks ago too), that's just what I have been looking for. I wonder why they are listed as different on the 1891 census (just to confuse me I think!), anyway that's answer my questions, hopefully can find more about them now...
  14. P

Conflicting Birth locations on 1891 and 1911 Census

I am looking for info on the parents of my grt grandmother Gertrude Annie Downes b,ham 1889. I have their names from her birth certificate, but from census info I am finding conflicting info about them: Samuel Downes (possibly Down or Downs) b 1853 in Torquay from 1911 census or North...
  15. P

Untraceable people on Census record

Hi Suzanne, You are very good at this, thanks, I don't think i would have ever found that, Rosannah is listed as Rod, oh dear! Thanks for all your help.